What's new

Itching for new razor...

Well, I've been doing well and stuck to my 71 SS now for about a month. The shaves are getting better, but I have not had the overall BBS shave yet. I'll usually get my lip, and parts of my cheeks BBS (after 4 passes with touch up on the neck after that), but nothing that is a overall great shave.

I'm have been itching to try out a different razor. I have a fast growing beard so I think I need a more aggressive razor. I'm wondering if I should go the HD route next or would a adjustable be a better next step? I've read that the adjustable Gillette's are pretty tame, so what would be a good adjustable then. I've also seriously considered the slant. Prices are pretty good on it now so that makes it really tempting.

Thanks for your information!

You will no doubt get a variety of responses to your post. I have found the Gillette Fatboy to be tame up to setting #4, then things start to get a bit scary. The Tech is, in my opinion, (I've only tried four different razors so far) the best shaver i've used. Not too tame but also non-threatening. But I still have a great deal of experimenting to do.

That's a bad idea, I would recommend that you stick with the current razor until you get things perfect, then move on. A new razor, while will please your collecting urge, will only complicate matters. Each razor puts new demands on your skill set. Best to stay put with what you got until you get things perfect then and only then move to a more complicated razor. I am moving on to a more demanding razor, but that is only because my face is quite forgiving and easy on me. As long as I don't bare down I could do this standing on my head. Your face may not be as forgiving as mine so try to stay with the current one until you get the routine perfect. Don't take me as a guide I am just extreemly lucky.

Jeff,

Have you considered changing blades? That's an easy option, which gives you more time to consider your razor selection. What blades are you using now?

I do agree that an adjustable razor offers more flexibility than a fixed blade. It will allow you to be a bit more agressive with your shaves, if that's what you need. Good luck in your quest!

chop-chop

Jeff - I believe it makes it more enjoyable to try out all sorts of razors. In time I would try out an Adjustable and a Merkur. You should go with whatever excites you. If you are thinking a Gillette then you should start shopping soon since you will have to go to Ebay or hope something pops up here.

I agree that the first step is to try the sampler packet to see which blade is best for you. You won't believe the difference among different makes of blades.

Once your technique is solid, it sounds (from your description of your beard) as if the Slant Bar might be the razor you should try.

I do have the sampler pack. So far I've tried the Murkur (not that great), the Feather (sharp-will come back to it later), Gillette (nice) and Derby (really happy with that one so far). Right now I'm working through the Derby's and I've been happy with the blade so far.

So, as far as adjustable's go, what is popular. I know the Gillette Fatboy's have a good rep. But, for the prices on a used one, I think I would like to look at a new Merkur adjustable. Is there a popular one to look at? Not sure I would go for the $100 Vision because of the price. But, does the Furtur or the Progress have a good rep? Are they more agressive then the Gillette's?

Thanks again

Both the Futur and the Progress are quite good. I believe that I prefer the Progress, on the whole. Very nice little razor. Once you know your blade, that is probably the adjustable to try. The Vision is lovely, but (as you say) expensive. But some guys don't like them, so keep your eye on the Selling/Trading thread and you might be able to pick up a used one at the good price. In the post linked to below my signature, I link to an article on "Vision surgery" in case you need to make adjustments. Mine was fine, but some have had to do a little work on it.

Top Bottom