What's new

It's my @*$! adam's apple

I use a Merkur adjustable with merkur blades (waiting to sinish the pack before switchig to feathers). I demonstrate mad shaving skilz - except for the area right around my adams apple on my throat. Imagine a piece of tape 1 inch wide, centered on the adams apple, going 2 inches to either side. I manage to give myself razor burn every day trying to get the last bit of stubble. It doesn't help that his is exactly where my collar hits my neck, so I'm reminded of the stubble every few minutes.

My routine is hot shower; pre-shave oil (homemade sandalwood in gradeseed/castor mix); Art of shaving shave cream; I work up a lather on my face (I get a better lather there than in a bowl). Lather, shave with grain, rinse warm water, re-lather, shave against grain, rinse warm water; re-lather, shave across grain, rinse warm water. Rinse cold water, alum block, stypic if necessary. Art of Shaving after shave balm. Whole shave takes 10 minutes, I'm smoothe as can be everywhere except that adams apple area.

Any tips? Sorry for the long explanation.

Dave

My only guess is maybe the hair right on that spot grows different than the rest of your neck. Have you let it get longer and had a close look? First time I did I was surprised how little areas were different than the rest. So possibly you're going ATG first there.

One other thing I noted is at the edge of the area I shave, furthest point in a stroke I tend to change the blade angle and get more aggressive. I caught myself doing that, good angle for like 90% of the stroke, last little bit I would lean it up. Try watching closely as you get to the end of the stroke.

Good luck

Slow down when you shave the apple. Make sure you relather before going over that area. Do not go over it multiple times even after you scraped the lather off with your razor. Pay attention to the hair growth and try to go WTG there are much as possible. Be careful and use a very light touch. Some guys have success with the "swallow" trick where you hold a swallow so it flattens out the adams apple area so you can shave over it. It's in one of the mantic videos on youtube.

I pull the skin to the side of my Adam's apple, and that works for me. I think you'll just have to keep trying different methods of shaving in that area until you find the one that works for you.

I had a very hard time shaving in that area as my Adam's apple sticks out a bit. Its kind of a trial and error thing. :001_rolle :laugh:

I pull the skin to the side of my Adam's apple, and that works for me. I think you'll just have to keep trying different methods of shaving in that area until you find the one that works for you.

I had a very hard time shaving in that area as my Adam's apple sticks out a bit. Its kind of a trial and error thing. :001_rolle :laugh:

+1 I pull the skin on my neck till the area is not over the top of the apple any more then shave it.

Definitely try different blades, too. Merkurs butchered my adam's apple (and in particular the two hollows on either side of it. I'm now sampling Derby's, and they slice right through it all without catching, and without burn. SO much nicer.

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem in exactly the same area. I found using the red pack Personnas helped a lot, but haven't completely fixed it. Gently massaging some extra skin food into the area also helps a little.

Top Bottom