What's new

Drying some shaving cream in a jar

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I just posted about this separately, did not realize this thred was here. I actually posed the question to one of our vendors as well, and he indicated that keeping the cream sealed between uses would prevent the crem from going bad...but I have no idea what would cause a cream to go bad. My plan was to take my tub of Proraso and transfer it to my apothecary mug and just leave it unsealed between uses. Not explicitly drying it out on purpose, just leaving the cream uncovered all the time. Is there really a danger of the cream spoiling or going bad if I do this?

Well, it doesn't work with all creams but it worked with Proraso when I tried it.

This also works with Bigelow Shave Cream; though I dried it out in a ceramic bowl, then transferred it later to a twist shave stick tube with a butter knife. Nice stiff, compacted shave stick now.

I emptied two tubes of Palmolive into an old BodyShop shaving cream tub. It was totally liquidy! Ended up leaving it out in the sun for a couple of days (daytime only) and used an old ice cream stick to keep stirring it. It's now much thicker in consistency and more manageable while not losing the characteristics of the original...and that's what I like!

i smell many times before clean my mug,i have 10 diferent creams.today the most impresive was nivea-made in germany-smell orange.....great

I hate to bring up an old thread but I wanted some opinions.
i wanted to try Luc's shave stick in a small lip balm container so that I can bring that on vacation.
How many shave's do you think I can get from a lip balm size stick?

Luc

Staff member
I hate to bring up an old thread but I wanted some opinions.
i wanted to try Luc's shave stick in a small lip balm container so that I can bring that on vacation.
How many shave's do you think I can get from a lip balm size stick?

Fidjit on this board had a lip balm stick made out of MWF. It might give you an idea but when you dry some cream like this, the product will shrink as the water evaporates so filling a lip balm might be a challenge IMO.

My opinion, if you would do one would probably be a few days worth but less than a week. It depends on your technique, how much product you will use and the product itself. The best way to know if and how it works, try to make one now and see how long it will last.

Fidjit on this board had a lip balm stick made out of MWF. It might give you an idea but when you dry some cream like this, the product will shrink as the water evaporates so filling a lip balm might be a challenge IMO.

My opinion, if you would do one would probably be a few days worth but less than a week. It depends on your technique, how much product you will use and the product itself. The best way to know if and how it works, try to make one now and see how long it will last.
Thanks Luc, I will give it a shot.
Should I fill lip balm halfway and then wait a week and then fill to the top? Or do it in more layers?

Luc

Staff member
Thanks Luc, I will give it a shot.
Should I fill lip balm halfway and then wait a week and then fill to the top? Or do it in more layers?

If it's thicker, it will take longer to dry. I guess that if you would spread the shave cream like a pancake, it would dry really fast. It should then be easy to transfer it to a container using the cookie cutter method (http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Creating_A_Shave_Stick)

Luc

Staff member
Luc, any chance you would include your Proraso stick in your stick reviews? An interested on how you rank it.

I will need to make a new one as I completely used it. The container that I used is now hosting a GZD shave stick. I will think of something. I was going to make a stick with the Proraso Soap tub as it worked well with the Barbus soap(Barbus has a similar consistency).

However, I do have Proraso on the list in the shave stick thread (see post 1). So it will be reviewed.

Thanks Luc. I missed Proraso from the list.
Have yet to try the stick but it is getting there quite fast. Am following your method and it dries hard in about 3 days.
Same technique for the tub soap?

Luc

Staff member
Thanks Luc. I missed Proraso from the list.
Have yet to try the stick but it is getting there quite fast. Am following your method and it dries hard in about 3 days.
Same technique for the tub soap?

I would say but probably faster. I haven't done it yet...

Wanted to experiment a bit so I added a layer of Prosaso blue to the stick and IME it takes way longer to dry, compared to Bigelow. Might also experiment adding proraso from the tub just to see how it goes. Layers of experimenting ...

If I was you I would leave it on top of the stove. The heat from using the oven every night from cooking and baking should make it dry out much faster. While not being enough heat to burn it.

Could you let it dry then try microwaving or heating it and then pour it into the stick?

Menthol and microwaves are a bad mix. There's a thread somewhere where a guy tried to melt Yeti Snot in a microwave and almost gassed himself when he opened the door.

Top Bottom