What's new

Drying some shaving cream in a jar

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
well 20 days on, its still almost the same as when i squeezed it out! this is going to take a while me thinks! :)

You could always use a butter knife or a spoon to take some out or spread it somewhere (I'm thinking wax paper would be easy to unstick, roll, break and re-fill your tube...)...

You could always use a butter knife or a spoon to take some out or spread it somewhere (I'm thinking wax paper would be easy to unstick, roll, break and re-fill your tube...)...

nah, it's all good. I'll just try it as is. Worst that will happen is I'll use as much as I did as a cream.... besides this stuff is dirt cheap!

Luc

Staff member
nah, it's all good. I'll just try it as is. Worst that will happen is I'll use as much as I did as a cream.... besides this stuff is dirt cheap!

Just curious, can you take a picture of what you have at the moment?

Luc

Staff member
It's quite a journey! I'm very confident it will work, it just takes a huge amount of time!

Just curious, can you take a picture of what you have at the moment?

Here's how it stood a couple of days ago, I did the "finger test" this morning, and it is appreciably harder, and the colour of the cream through the edge of the tub is more uniform, but I think another week or so might get it there.

That tub is approximately 7cm at it's widest point.

Luc

Staff member
:eek:

I didn't think it was that big!

The surface is good for drying. Mine is still a bit soft but should be ready in 2 weeks I reckon, I will post a picture later.

:eek:

I didn't think it was that big!

well it is two whole tubes after all! :)

The surface is good for drying. Mine is still a bit soft but should be ready in 2 weeks I reckon, I will post a picture later.

I'd be interested to see it. Realistacly mine is going to be another couple of weeks as well. It is getting firmer, however the top is still a little tacky, I'm not sure if that will go away or not. The bits around the edge of the container where I was a messy SOB in putting it in are not tacky, and appear to have dried quite hard, so hopefully, it is just a matter of time before it all goes like that!

Luc

Staff member
I had a play with the stick this morning. Bad news.

When the cream dry in the tube, it sticks. As my cream doesn't seem to be all dry, it's sticking on one side and going up on the other. I need to wait still. However, I'm wondering if I shouldn't do something like drying it on a piece of cling wrap and then insert the straws in the tube... It it's dry it won't stick.

I had a play with the stick this morning. Bad news.

When the cream dry in the tube, it sticks. As my cream doesn't seem to be all dry, it's sticking on one side and going up on the other. I need to wait still. However, I'm wondering if I shouldn't do something like drying it on a piece of cling wrap and then insert the straws in the tube... It it's dry it won't stick.

or just give it more time.... :)

ok, almost a Month on, Mine is almost ready... Top is no longer tacky (well not very), and is kinda like a very soft soap. Softer than Proraso green tub, I reckon another week or two and it will be almost rock hard.

Luc

Staff member
ok, almost a Month on, Mine is almost ready... Top is no longer tacky (well not very), and is kinda like a very soft soap. Softer than Proraso green tub, I reckon another week or two and it will be almost rock hard.

Are you sure it's not hardened dust? :lol:

Luc

Staff member
Good news!

The Proraso stick is finally starting to get harder. The top flipped over when I pushed it out of the tube and now, it's still not ready but the whole cylinder is moving up and down as it should, 2 more weeks and it should be ready!

Luc

Staff member
I thought I should show were we are now.

The tube is still not ready but I'm happy with the fact that it's going up and down easy. I still have "wet" cream or non-dried cream in the tube. If I push on it, I can feel it. The top is now very hard. It still smell like Proraso :)001_rolle) and should be ready in a week or two, after all that time...

Pretty much what I did is one layer of cream and wait 1-2 weeks before I added another layer of cream. I think 2 weeks is best, 3 would be great... Eventually, I want to use it before 2011 so I maintain it to 1 week on average, thin layer and I did half a tube...

I keep it on the counter with the cap at an angle so prevent dust. If I leave the cap on, it will take ages for it to dry...

I will report back when it's ready/used it!

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
what about putting it in front of a fan?

or better yet - a Ronco Food Dehydrator!?!?!?!

A fan will most likely dry the top bit but not deep under, time will do it. I'm the only fan for the tube at the moment, I jump up and down every morning to cheer it up! :lol:

I don't own or know what a "Ronco Food Dehydrator!?!?!?!" is! :tongue_sm

Top Bottom