What's new

Drying some shaving cream in a jar

The results?

It works!! I was very confident that it would to start with. My stick melted a bit quickly but it might require more time to dry. The lather was great as always! Time to make a big stick now!

Any news on the big stick? Or are you not yet to that point? I'd be interested in trying it. As you know, a man should speak softly and carry a big stick.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Any news on the big stick? Or are you not yet to that point? I'd be interested in trying it. As you know, a man should speak softly and carry a big stick.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The making is in progress. I don't want to add too much cream in there as I want it to dry before I add another layer. It will be a long process but I think it will be rewarding!

I will post pictures, instructions and results when ready!

I just the other night squeezed two tubes of palmolive (mennen) shave cream into a small plastic bowl, placed it under the desk on top of the computer (the warmest place I can think of) and will let it dry.

Wonder how long this is going to take, weeks probably! :)

It'll probably take up to a few weeks, depending on the individual characteristics of that particular cream. Actually, It'll depend on you. When you decide you've waited long enough, I'll be curious to find out how you like the finished product.

It'll probably take up to a few weeks, depending on the individual characteristics of that particular cream. Actually, It'll depend on you. When you decide you've waited long enough, I'll be curious to find out how you like the finished product.

I've just moved it to another location, just behing my Mythtv server, which is always on, nice pocket of warm air there, hopefully it'll dry sooner! Having said that, after 24 hours or so of being exposed to the air, it doesnt seem to have dried much.

This is going to take a while I think! Lol, i'll probably forget about it!

Luc

Staff member
I just the other night squeezed two tubes of palmolive (mennen) shave cream into a small plastic bowl, placed it under the desk on top of the computer (the warmest place I can think of) and will let it dry.

Wonder how long this is going to take, weeks probably! :)

I did that with a small amount. Squeezed what I would use for 1 shave and after a few days, I got 3-4 shaves out of it...

Luc

Staff member
did it dry hard? in 3 days? I reckon I got weeks and weeks of waiting ahead of me!

It was a bit harder than Cella, a bit like proraso in the tub. If you want something as hard as the shaving stick, you might have to wait a few weeks, yes.

no worries. It isnt like I'm short of soaps or anything, I'll just let it sit and mellow.

Hows the proraso stick coming?

Luc

Staff member
no worries. It isnt like I'm short of soaps or anything, I'll just let it sit and mellow.

Hows the proraso stick coming?

It's coming, I want a full stick and I would like to try it first before I actually post it so I can post the instructions + results.

no worries.

I've had the palmolive sitting in a warm spot for 24 hours now, so hopefully I should start to see something happen. Damn this cold weather, it's slowing everything down!

Luc

Staff member
no worries.

I've had the palmolive sitting in a warm spot for 24 hours now, so hopefully I should start to see something happen. Damn this cold weather, it's slowing everything down!

I did the same and 1 day is not enough, the cream is still soft, but you might be lucky :laugh:

it's been at least two or three days now, but only one in a warm spot...

Edit: just checked it, there's a crust on top, about a mm thick. I estimate it's about 4cm deep. so at 1mm every 2 days, it's going to take a while! lol!

Last edited:
ok, two weeks on, and I can report that not much has changed! It isnt really drying out appreciably! It's still slightly "sticky" on top. Oh well, I'll have to give it more time!

Luc

Staff member
You might need to do some layers...

Luc

Staff member
heh, a little late for that, it's already in the bowl... Just going to have to wait it out. Surely it will dry out eventually!

It should, I'm still doing my layers, it will take a while but I will get there...

It should, I'm still doing my layers, it will take a while but I will get there...

Had you thought about getting a tub of the proraso soap, pushing the empty shavestick holder into it to cut a tube? This I reckon would give the same (but much quicker) result!

Luc

Staff member
Had you thought about getting a tub of the proraso soap, pushing the empty shavestick holder into it to cut a tube? This I reckon would give the same (but much quicker) result!

Yes, the only thing, I still have ~2 tubes of shaving cream...

Top Bottom