What's new

Dovo's "extra" hollow "singing" razor: Hype or quality?

Hi all, TK the newbie again!:smile:

Checking out classic shaving: and was wondering was Dovo's "extra" hollow "singing" razor the real deal or just hype?:confused:

I am basically going on Boon's comments for my info and he does not talk about these I don't think....

What say you'all?

Hi all, TK the newbie again!:smile:

Checking out classic shaving: and was wondering was Dovo's "extra" hollow "singing" razor the real deal or just hype?:confused:

I am basically going on Boon's comments for my info and he does not talk about these I don't think....

What say you'all?

I have no idea who Boon is - but they are quite nice. What works for one man - won't necessarily work for another (as skin types, beard toughness, etc are different for us all) but they are quite nice.

I am curious though - where is the info you are getting - as far as them being potentially "hype?" There is pretty much no info on them (as far as being talked about, discusses, reviewed) so I am not sure what you speak of specifically.

In any event - they are superlative razors - I just don't think they get too much attention - as for the price you can buy an extra hollow "singing" TI.

Well the guy Boon I think is quoted at length from one e-tailer, can't remember which.

THere is no place where I am "getting" the notion that the "singing" Dovo's are hype.... t'was just a question:blush:

There is a guy by that name with a website who has a lot of info about straight razors. It's one of the first sites I stumbled upon when I was searching the web for info on straights. It's got some detailed info on it. He doesn't have anything to say about brands or models of razors, only about razors in general. Here is the link: http://www.en.nassrasur.com/razorcentral/

-----Michael

Arthur Boon, he is an expert in the research and documentation of Dovo and TI. He has a nice treatise on using a straight, not from personal experience but as a research analyst.

It's my understanding that the DOVO 'premier klang' razors ring well due to the fact that they are radically hollowground - about 14 on the Henckel scale (I got this from DOVO, by the way). I have had other razors that sing when thumbed, notably the Gotta ones marked 'superfine Hamburg ring' - superb silver steel blades - and the big ERN 1166 razors when they get really beefy, usually 6/8+. I have an 8/8 Kropp that does the same, and that is about scale 12+ as well - so I think it's due to the thinness of the blade and maybe due to the tempering as well. Hope this helps.:wink:

I think all the razors marked singing are the duble hollow grounds and I think all made from quality steel will sing. Its just a quality of the grind. You can get just as good a shave from a wedge.

Top Bottom