What's new

Tried blade buffing today

I tried the blade buffing technique with my Merkur 38c and a Persona. I only did it on some spots where I tend to get spotty results (i.e. I miss random hairs because the angle of the face changes over a short span or the direction of the hair changes over a short span) such as my upper lip, corners of my chin, and besides my adams apple. It worked great. I can tell I still have some technique improvement to go but I was pleased with the results. I little irritation in a couple spots but not what I'd consider full-on razor burn.

before I blade buff I use a little cream of some sort (anything seems to work), then re-brush some shaving cream over top of that.. seems to cut down on my irritation a lot! Blade buffing is a GREAT technique, really cuts down the 'hard to shave' areas of my neck, on the sides...

Many around here squeeze that ultra thick/rich lather out of the brush and use that during the touch ups/blade buffing passes. I'm a fan of blade buffing. Works well especially while you are mastering your technique.

Many around here squeeze that ultra thick/rich lather out of the brush and use that during the touch ups/blade buffing passes. I'm a fan of blade buffing. Works well especially while you are mastering your technique.

What he said :001_smile and it really works well.

I agree, I have cut myself worse with J Hooking than with blade buffing.. though with everything else in DE shaving, practice makes perfect!

blade buffing i love....

j-hooking?.... i did it with my mach 3, but I've got a lot of work to do with my DE before i try it with it! maybe my travel tech will be the first to try it with; is pretty gentle

Look at Mantic's video's again, the ones on advanced shaving.

The J-hook is good, but I've found that his Gillette slide really gets those hard to get whiskers. At least for me it does, YMMV. But look at those video's again, and go easy with them until you get them solid. :thumbup1: :thumbup:

Look at Mantic's video's again, the ones on advanced shaving.

The J-hook is good, but I've found that his Gillette slide really gets those hard to get whiskers. At least for me it does, YMMV. But look at those video's again, and go easy with them until you get them solid. :thumbup1: :thumbup:

+1

I do the Gillette slide going ATG on the left side of my neck and it works really well.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
blade buffing is where its at. I even do it with a straight sometimes!

+ 1 on that.

With a DE the key for me was to remember to keep the blade angle correct as I had a tendency to blade buff at an angle that would get closer to 90% as I went along.

I've done three different blade buffing techniques so far...

1. back/forth over the same spot (started with this)
  2. use the silo doors to spread the lather back to the buffing area on the back pass (used to do this)
  3. scoop up some lather and spread with finger tips on the buffing following with the razor back/forth (do this now, I can feel the stubble)

I never run the blade on my skin anymore unless there is lather present.

For final spot cleanup, I rinse off the lather film which seems to let the hair stand up better. I keep my face wet while doing this and keep the pressure on my face as light as possible while buffing ATG. The blade must not be dull.

Last edited:
I love blade buffing just to clean up after my final pass.

I tried J-hooking once and it just doesn't work on my face. And the Gillette Slide looks a little too dangerous to me...it seems the most likely to leave a big gash if done improperly.

Top Bottom