What's new

Tallow, Tallow, Tallow info needed!

So I have tried Tabac and Speick. The Speick did not cut it for me, it seemed kinda week in comparison. The Tabac seemed to be far better (lather, softening of the skin, cushion, etc.). Anyone else notice this?

I am going to order Cella next and figured I could get another tallow soap with that one as well. What would you guys claim is the next "best" one. I know this is kinda' subjective, but maybe their will be an overwhelming consensus. (Unless everyone says Speick, then I guess I am missing something.)

How about Art of Shaving? The sandalwood is excellent, and I like the lemon and unscented too. Haven't tried the lavender, but I imagine it's good.

How about Art of Shaving? The sandalwood is excellent, and I like the lemon and unscented too. Haven't tried the lavender, but I imagine it's good.

I forgot the AOS soaps contain tallow! I would not get sandalwood though as I am pretty sure I am allergic to it. Even when I tried the AOS sandalwood cream my face felt like it was on fire:mad5:....the lavender might be good though.

Speick is excellent although I found it much better by grating into puck form and using it that way. Arko is a wonderful and cheap. Palmolive is another tallow stick that gets a lot of love. MWF is one of my favorites but can be difficult to use. YMMV though.

Personally, I prefer Speick to Tabac. They are about equal in performance, but I like the Speick's scent. There are only two soaps that I like more than Cella: Mitchell's Wool Fat and the Valobra shave stick.

There are some vocal opponents to me, but you can find my tallow shaving soap of choice in my signature. It's the very best for me.

I never find the lather from sticks as good as I get from pucks.

I put this down to not getting enough soap loaded on the brush!

I'm going to try grating them into a bowl. Seems to work for many on here.

John

So I have tried Tabac and Speick. The Speick did not cut it for me, it seemed kinda week in comparison. The Tabac seemed to be far better (lather, softening of the skin, cushion, etc.). Anyone else notice this?
No. In fact, they are in my opinion almost equal, with Tabac smelling better and Speick getting the nod for not ever so slightly irritating my skin. I rather like both, although the weird fragrance of Speick will not ever be a winner with me.

I too find Speick to be superior for my shaves. I only use it grated and pressed into a tin. It behaves like the thickest, slickest soap this way. Much better than as a stick. It is one of the best out there and softens my beard very well.

I never find the lather from sticks as good as I get from pucks.

I put this down to not getting enough soap loaded on the brush!

I'm going to try grating them into a bowl. Seems to work for many on here.

John

Or rub the stick on your face, then use the brush to whip up the lather. Arko does very well this way, as does the Moos. More on this here.

You may want to soften the stick a little by running it under warm water.

Speick is excellent although I found it much better by grating into puck form and using it that way. Arko is a wonderful and cheap. Palmolive is another tallow stick that gets a lot of love. MWF is one of my favorites but can be difficult to use. YMMV though.

+1 on the Palmolive. I grate mine into a bowl and it is a terrific, affordable soap.

I picked up AOS unscented on Friday and used it yesterday and today. It's a good one, too. I have used Valobra once, and will try it again tomorrow to get a better sense of the soap.

Top Bottom