What's new

Witch Hazel

Wow, this stuff really is THAT good. I picked some up at a local supplement shop. When I first started at B&B, I had my doubts about it. I tried some astringent I had and man, that stuff was drying and stingy. So I picked up some WH and it didn't sting and was incredibly moisturizing. Its awesome! It really is that good.

i can vouch for the Thayer's brand as well. I use their rose scented witch hazel and works like a charm. Highly recommend it as an Aftershave for those with sensitive skin.

Thayer's is good stuff. I also get good results from the generic WH from WallyWorld. It's hard to go wrong with witch hazel.

What does witch hazel smell like? Does it have a chemical smell?

I think this is one of the smells I'm picking up in the barber shop i go to. I kinda like it lol. Trying to decide if i should by the unscented or the regular.

While we're on that topic....what exactly are we using this stuff for? And please excuse me for a really stupid sounding question...it's just that we don't get that stuff down here...have never seen it and it keeps cropping up!!!

WH puts the stops to most of my weepers if I get too agressive shaving. It tightens the skin like nothing else. I am going to get some Dickersons or Thayers when I finish my 89 cent bottle I got at my HEB store.

Is Thayer's real Witch Hazel?

:lol::lol::lol:ClubmanRob, WHERE ARE YOU?!:lol::lol::lol:

...And now for an actual answer to your question... The short answer is "It depends". If you're talking about the US government and the FDA, then only those preparations containing only the distillate of the Hammamelis Virginiana plant and 14% alcohol can be labeled as a drug and called witch hazel. If you're anyone else (except for ClubmanRob), it's a bit of a moot point. Thayer's is close enough for anyone save the above mentioned pair. TN Dickinson's, Thayer's, or generic witch hazel from the Dollar Store: they all work - use what you like, and call it whatever pleases you!:thumbup:

(PS: all witch hazel smells like bacon, and other such tomfoolery! I do miss ClubmanRob at times like this...)

Last edited:
I use strictly generic Witch Hazel, Hamamelis Water. I don't want anything added other than the alcohol. I then follow up with a lightly scented After Shave.

I use Dickenson's. I don't know if it smells like bacon, but it doesn't smell bad.

I do love the feel of my face after applying it and it seems to put an end to any small bleeders I have.

Dickinson's witch hazel smells like bacon. It's awesome.

LOL. I thought you were kidding, but I was using it the other day and it does remind me of bacon. It's a really dry, light, wispy smelling bacon, though, with a good dose of really dry, dessicated wood.

K.T.

It is really cool to the touch as well.

Edit: I use Dickinson's, and I love the scent (now--didn't at first). They recently changed the bottle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom