What's new

What is hair tonic for?

I use the Clubman hair tonic. I'm not really sure about the purpose, but it smells good and is better than using water before combing the hair.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I have been using the Joris Hair Tonic without oil and have enjoyed it in place of a gel or other "styling" product. After my barber shop haircut today I may not need it. I left looking like I might be deployed soon.

I have been using the Joris Hair Tonic without oil and have enjoyed it in place of a gel or other "styling" product. After my barber shop haircut today I may not need it. I left looking like I might be deployed soon.

...thought you were letting your freak flag fly.

I've found myself with a bottle of Bay Rum hair tonic which I bought by accident from Boots the Chemist last week. It just said Bay Rum on the front so I thought it was aftershave. Opening it it smells like an old grocer's shop. I tried using it one morning and it didn't seem to do a whole lot. I've gone back to my usual Brylcreem which styles my hair very well. The hair tonic was only a pound so no big loss but I'm intrigued to know of guys who use it regularly.

I'm kinda currious about that too. I see those all the time in the shaving-shops but I have had no clue what they are used for. The only hair-styling products I'm fammiliar with is gel.

Not that my military-short hairs would benefit from it ...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Back in the day, folks didn't wash their hair every day.
You gotta haul the water, heat the water, toss the water etc.

If you combine that with the likelyhood of wearing a hat most of the day, every day, you can imagine what some peoples heads smelled like.

Hair tonic helped with that.

Consider it Cologne for the head.

I shower at night, and often in the morning my hair is in a bit of a state. The hair tonic makes it behave, and does so better than plain water - I suspect the alcohol helps it penetrate the hairs better. The scent of the Clubman's Pinaud tonic is very light and dissipates quickly.

Now I'm curious: Anyone ever try A/S on their head? Isn't the first basic ingredient SD Alcohol? Might be good use for my Clubman...

Now I'm curious: Anyone ever try A/S on their head? Isn't the first basic ingredient SD Alcohol? Might be good use for my Clubman...

Pinaud hair tonics can be used as aftershaves so....maybe? The tonics, however, have more muted scents than the lotions so it might be a bit much on the dome.

You gotta haul the water, heat the water, toss the water etc.

If you combine that with the likelyhood of wearing a hat most of the day, every day, you can imagine what some peoples heads smelled like.

Hair tonic helped with that.

I never knew what it was for. My father-in-law (born in late 40s) mentioned using it back in the day, but he was also a "greaser" in the 1950s/60s...so I figured it had something to do with creating a petroleum reserve on top of your head. Guess it was for PRESERVING the oil reserve. :laugh:

Pinaud hair tonics can be used as aftershaves so....maybe? The tonics, however, have more muted scents than the lotions so it might be a bit much on the dome.

Yup. That's my line of thinking. I'd guess you probably wouldn't want to slap Skin Bracer on there either, but maybe something a little lighter? Maybe Proraso...but that seems a little expensive then, for some tonic for the noggin.

Although I take a shower everyday, there is no need to wash your hair daily.
I only wash it when I need to (sporting/sweating, dirty, ...) which is in general every other day.

8<

I do use a good lotion (Italian brand for professional use) daily and it does more than just smelling good.
It contains hydrogenated oil, vit. E and other goodies and it really does pamper the skin and hair. The hair is more manageable without making it heavy or greasy.

Many years ago I was told that Eau de Quinine makes hair grow faster and is good for the hairs health. I don't know if this is true.

I never knew what it was for. My father-in-law (born in late 40s) mentioned using it back in the day, but he was also a "greaser" in the 1950s/60s...so I figured it had something to do with creating a petroleum reserve on top of your head. Guess it was for PRESERVING the oil reserve. :laugh:

I'm sure the greasers did use the oilier ones LOl!! Here's my take on Hair Tonics, most just help impart a little control and maybe shine into hair that is dried out or uncontrollable. I have used Vitalis (favorite), Jeris with Oil, and Lucky Tiger 3 purpose Hair Tonic. What I like about Vitalis is that it coats the hair with what seems like a very fine layer of oil, but still lets the hair be combable and not hard like gells. When used in moderation you will not look like a greaser and your hair will have light control without looking dried out.

Top Bottom