What's new

Another face lathering convert

After seeing it on a couple videos, I've started face lathering. I'm getting way closer shaves, even with Wilkinson Economie blades with which previously I had a difficult time. I think the difference lies on to the prolonged scrubbing while building lather. Just willing to share my experience.

Happy shaving!

I am also a facelatherer and although I have not tried other systems I suspect that lathering this way has similarly beneficial effects for me. I have basically been able to pull off a BBS every time since beginning wetshaving. (Note: I was getting BBS's from Mach 3's before, too.)

IMO face lathering is also the most manly, conserves the most materials and time, and feels great!:thumbup:

Face lathering is the only way I've done it. It may be somewhat more difficult to get the right amount of H20 incorporated necessary to developing a lather, but it's working for me.:thumbup1:

I am also a facelatherer and although I have not tried other systems I suspect that lathering this way has similarly beneficial effects for me. I have basically been able to pull off a BBS every time since beginning wetshaving. (Note: I was getting BBS's from Mach 3's before, too.)

Same here. Indeed first time I tried face lathering I was astonished I had achieved BBS even on trouble spots with a lesser (in my opinion) blade.

I have to say that this way I'm experiencing a little more redness afterwards, but I think I'll just have to use a softer brush and/or a gentler pressure while lathering.

Face lathering is the only way I've done it. It may be somewhat more difficult to get the right amount of H20 incorporated necessary to developing a lather, but it's working for me.:thumbup1:

I've found Mantic videos most beneficial in this respect: fill the sink and wet the tip of the brush when you want to add water.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: I'm using a shaving cream.

Last edited:
Historically, I have counted myself among the "Face Latherers" for a number of reasons. The brushing action feels great, aids exfoliation, and generally gets the beard standing up and ready to face the blade. Simple, easy, and less cleanup involved.

I saved bowl lathering for special occasions . . . when I really wanted to pamper myself with thick foam and pleasant warmth. :001_cool:

As some of you know, I had a long discussion with a Gem Open Comb Micromatic this week. One of the major reasons I was able to get good results with this famously aggressive razor was due to a switch from face to bowl lathering and the slicker, creamier lather that resulted.

I still used my brush, loaded with hot water only, to "scrub" the beard. After building my lather in a hot bowl, I still used a lathering motion to apply the suds. My face didn't know the difference! :blink:

Having a higher-quality lather made a difference with that razor. Keeping the lather warm in the bowl between passes is another added benefit - it sure does feel good!

Now I have a real problem . . . trying to decide what scuttle I want to invest in!! :thumbup1:

I've always face lathered with shave cream. I just got a brush scuttle from Dirty Bird. I love it. Keeps my loaded brush warm for a 3 pass. I asked Julie if I could microwave the scuttle and she said yes, but to be careful not to get the water too hot because too much heat will break down the lather. She advised just hot tap water.

Top Bottom