What's new

Newbie blade switching suggestion wise?

I've been thinking a bit on the suggestion of so many people for newbies to rush out and buy sample packs of razors. I see people commenting on how they're comparing blades and razors after shaving only a week and it had me wondering, is this a good idea?

I think people new to DE shaving cover so much of the learning curve so quick as far as technique goes, isn't it possible that much of what people are thinking is a superior blade is simply them developing as a shaver? I know I improved after nearly every shave and always thought switching up something so quick was just throwing a screwball to a rookie hitter.

Wouldn't it make more sense to start out with what is known as a pretty solid razor, with any solid blade, and just work on technique before experimenting with new blades, and razors?

I say this because I started with a 6 dollar antique store bought 1940 Gillette Tech Gold, loaded with Wal-Mart blades, VDH soap and the cheap boar brush you get with it; and was experiencing BBS shaves within a week of starting...

Just my 2c, I'm still learning and this was just something I was thinking about and wanted to open it up for some discussion.:001_smile

I think people new to DE shaving cover so much of the learning curve so quick as far as technique goes, isn't it possible that much of what people are thinking is a superior blade is simply them developing as a shaver? I know I improved after nearly every shave and always thought switching up something so quick was just throwing a screwball to a rookie hitter.

More than possible, I would say it's extremely likely. It's why people working through blades samplers are encouraged to set aside blades they don't like, and revisit them later. Often as your technique improves, you will find previous blades that hacked your face to pieces now work perfectly fine.

There are two schools of DE newbie thought:

1) Use the exact same setup (same razor, same brush, same cream/soap, same blades, same aftershave) for at least a month to limit variables as you develop technique.

2) Every newbie needs a sampler pack from the getgo, as not every blade performs the same for ever person, and you need to find the blade that works best for you.

Option 1 could mean the shaver is discouraged, if a particular blade simply doesn't work for them.

Option 2 means that a shaver may blame the blade for his woes, when the true problem is his lack of technique.

I have to agree with you though, if you are using products that are widely accepted as being stellar, you can safely assume that the hardware is not to blame for your problems; it seldom is.

Top Bottom