What's new

Trumpers Coconut oil soap

Hey gents, I was wondering if the soap version is as good as the cream. I am getting low on my tub of coconut cream and was contemplating on getting the soap to replace it. The cream is pretty amazing, is the soap on par?

I REALLY love the cream so I bought the soap a few months ago and have used it a total of two or three times. The scent is good but the shave is sub par IMO. I also have the rose scent and the result is the same--a sub par performing product. I could not get that slick, thick lather that I get from most of my other soaps. In fact, (for a point of reference) Mama Bear's and Cade (both non-tallow soaps) lather better and shave better.

I was really disappointed. I know Trumper's soaps are no longer tallow based, but still, I expected a lot more out of them (sure would love to have some old Trumper's tallow based soap--I hear great things about them!). IMO, save your money and buy a tube of the coconut cream.

In terms of a veg. based soap, there are a lot better choices out there than Trumper's. For example, try Mama Bear's coconut soap (very similar in scent) and shaves & lathers a lot better. Plus, it's a lot cheaper too! Again, this is one man's opinion and YMMV....

I REALLY love the cream so I bought the soap a few months ago and have used it a total of two or three times. The scent is good but the shave is sub par IMO. I also have the rose scent and the result is the same--a sub par performing product. I could not get that slick, thick lather that I get from most of my other soaps. In fact, (for a point of reference) Mama Bear's and Cade (both non-tallow soaps) lather better and shave better.

I was really disappointed. I know Trumper's soaps are no longer tallow based, but still, I expected a lot more out of them (sure would love to have some old Trumper's tallow based soap--I hear great things about them!). IMO, save your money and buy a tube of the coconut cream.

In terms of a veg. based soap, there are a lot better choices out there than Trumper's. For example, try Mama Bear's coconut soap (very similar in scent) and shaves & lathers a lot better. Plus, it's a lot cheaper too! Again, this is one man's opinion and YMMV....

Mama Bears is a melt & pour glycerin soap, CADE is, I believe, Shea Butter based.

I am going to disagree, I find the soap far superior to the current cream.
(The pre re-formulated cream is another story, as it was a soft soap).

Failure to get this soap to its maximum is more than likely not using enough product, and or very hard water. The current cosmeticized cream works in hard water better and it is very easy to get the correct amount of product on the brush.

Jim, I am glad you chimed in on this discussion. I think I might give the soap a shot based on your recommendation. If I dont like it, I'm sure I could find it a home. I have used Trumpers Rose and Violet veggie soaps before and they worked well for me. I actually prefer them to Harris, performance-wise.

The scent of the soap is milder than that of the cream, the soap also performs as well if not slightly more consistantly than the cream.. maybe its because I use mainly soaps these days.

+1. Couldn't have said it better myself. I enjoy their creams but have traded off all my Trumper soaps. (With the exception of Lime... I threw it in the garbage.)

I am going to disagree, I find the soap far superior to the current cream.
(The pre re-formulated cream is another story, as it was a soft soap).

Jim, I've seen you mention this before. Which reformulation are you referring to? I've never seen a Trumper tub that was more like a soft soap, but I've only been using the brand since '05. Are you talking about the switch back in the '80s, when it went from being produced by Trumper to being produced by Creightons? There was talk of a more recent "reformulation" back around '06. I have tubs of Trumper both pre- and post-'06, and I can definitely notice a difference in the scent of the Coconut, but the cream base itself seems more or less the same to me.

As for the OP's question, I think Trumper shaving soaps are great, irrespective of scent, but I still prefer their creams. Their coconut cream is the best of the lot, imo.

Top Bottom