What's new

Used Rolex Purchase

Hi gents,

Two expectations are certain: I want a Rolex and it won't be new. I still want something really nice, and with the mass amount of fakes out there, I do get nervous. I am considering pulling the trigger from this website: www.timeandgems.com What do you guys think? They have an A+ rating from BBB.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Hi gents,

Two expectations are certain: I want a Rolex and it won't be new. I still want something really nice, and with the mass amount of fakes out there, I do get nervous. I am considering pulling the trigger from this website: www.timeandgems.com What do you guys think? They have an A+ rating from BBB.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Which model you interested in and what's your budget? Are you a member of any watch forums? There are quite a few legit sellers on the different watch forums. Just a quick glance but, I'd believe they would easily beat the prices listed in your link.
AD's are also hurting for business, so don't mark them off your list too soon. If you are looking at SS models (other than the Daytona) you should be able to get a 15-25% discount if paying cash.

remember a few things,
1) beware of bargins, Rolex is well known for protecting its brand image and therefore interferes alot with the 2nd hand market, it invests alot of money in rebuying stock and has a buyback program to make sure its watches retain their value even in the 2nd hand market, meaning that a rolex "bargin" is suscipicious in general,

2) know your seller, we might be use to the cheap chinese "trolex" watches, but there have been falsifications coming from places like china, turkey, eastern europe that use proper mechanical movements and well finished casings, which arent the common 5 buck on the street phoneys, they are still fake rolexes and arent worth the money, you can get a "proper" fake trolex with a swiss ETA.S.A movement and a well finished case for 200-500 dollars (depending on quality and finish) and those watches will even fool some experts when not properly inspected and disassmbled, thats why its important to know you you´re buying from,

3) and always when buying a 2nd hand mecanical, make sure it keeps good time and the power reserve is ok (should run in to the 40-50 hours with a normal automatic rolex), i shouldnt have to remind you that servicing a rolex can be expencive, you could find youself shelling out 400-600 dollars more then what you paid for it just to get it to proper working order,

In addition the classified section on timzone.com, check your area for mom and pop jewelers that may sell used watches or can find you what you want. I picked up my GMT II in such a way. I told the jeweler what I was looking for and he used his "network" to find it for me. Good luck!

I've purchased three used Rolexes over the years. One was an online purchase - a genuine Rolex, but it had issues that cost more to repair than what I paid for the watch. I ended up trading it in.

The other two I purchased from local brick and mortar jewelers with good reputations. I had no issues with either of those, and both (one a 1953 model and the other from the 1980s) are still being used daily and running perfectly.

+1 to the comment about the cost of maintenance. A normal bi-annual (or so) cleaning costs between $400 and $600.

And no, I don't wear both of them daily - the newer one was present to my son when he graduated from university summa cum laude.

Last edited:
it depends on the age of the watch, advances in mechanics, oil composition, alloys used and the replacement of glass and plexi with sapphire has increased time between services, a modern automatic watch can go up to 5 years, and omega claims that their coaxial escapement movements can go up to 10 years (i wouldnt test that one), buy if you but a older 2nd hand rolex, you might find you have to service it every 2-3 years,

I would first go to an authorized rolex dealer, I have never been to one that didn't have a big selection of used watches. Then you get to try them on, see em, talk to someone etc. Hey its always fun hunting for watches. And don't pin yourself in with one brand, try other watches. Whenever I see a Rolex the first thing I think is "Is it real", when I see a breitling, Omega, IWC, Patek, I don't have the same thought.

Seeing as you are happy with the idea of buying a used watch, I would suggest that you check the Sales Corner at Time Zone . This is a person-to-person marketplace much like here on B&B. I'm sure that you will find the pricing of the watches to be attractive (ie no middle men) and you will need to "buy the seller" as much as buying the watch, but hopefully you can find what you are looking for.

I would first go to an authorized rolex dealer, I have never been to one that didn't have a big selection of used watches. Then you get to try them on, see em, talk to someone etc. Hey its always fun hunting for watches. And don't pin yourself in with one brand, try other watches. Whenever I see a Rolex the first thing I think is "Is it real", when I see a breitling, Omega, IWC, Patek, I don't have the same thought.

I bought my 1969 Rolex Stainless Steel Date at Tourneau in 1993 for $1,000.00.

http://www.tourneau.com/Tourneau/

I might have paid a little more but I was guaranteed a genuine Rolex that was in great condition with a new bracelet.

My suggest is to not look for a good price, but to look for a reputable seller. And Tourneau has a great selection of other brands.

BTW, I had Watch AD, and my Rolex cured it. I haven't bought another watch since except for my backpacking Casio at $20.00.

Have fun!

My only comment is why do you want a Rolex? There are plenty of watches out there the equal to or better than Rolex where you could buy new for the same price as a vintage Rolex. Everything about a Rolex is more expensive, the initial price, service, parts.

Many people who buy Rolex buy it for the mistaken notion it is the best watch in the world or it's a brand recognition prestige thing.

Now I'm not saying Rolex isn't a great watch, it certainly is. If you spend some time on Timezone you'll see the continual Rolex war that always goes on there.

Top Bottom