What's new

Used Rolex Purchase

It's intersting to hear the much more knowledgeable/experienced crowd speak up. I am not a complete dunce in reference to good watches, I at least know Patek Phillippe. I have noticed a stark contrast in the amount of Rolex's being sold in comparison to other watches. I have a couple of other hobbies where a specific maker is in high demand and well thought of (like Rolex), but it's almost impossible to get one, let alone at a good price. Whenever it does come on for sale on the forum, it's usually snapped up within minutes. I would say, as a rough estimate, that the sales forum at TZ and rolexforums (not a fair comparison I know) are at LEAST 1/3 Rolex's. More knowledgeable gentlemen, can you educate me? Thanks!

Jason

Off topic, but would you care to name them? I'm really interested to hear the "much less expensive" options.

Omega, Breitling, Doxa, Tag-Heuer, Oris, Ebel, and a few others make decent quality mechanical watches that IMO compete well with Rolex and are readily avalable at lower prices in most cases. The Omega Speedmaster beat out all comers in NASA's flight testing in the 1960s, so their products definitely perform as do Doxa and Breitling IMO.

Heck, a quartz Seiko keeps better time than a Rolex if you are "performance" oriented. If resale, pride of ownership, and sex appeal matter, get the Rolex. I've seen lots of Camaros that could beat a Ferrari at the track. I'll still take any Ferrari over any Camaro.

If you walk into your local mall or AD to purchase an Omega...you will get smoked on the resale. If you frequent the watch forums you'll know the Omega AD's that offer 25-35% discounts, so if you do flip the watch you won't get hurt too bad.
Panerai, Patek, and Rolex do a good job of holding their value on the secondary market. Of course, you have a much higher entry price for the PP. I've bought and sold dozens of watches over the years, and I have NEVER lost money on a Rolex :thumbup:

Buying vintage is a great way to "price protect" your purchases. Assuming you didn't overpay or buy some lesser known brand, you can almost always resell for what you've paid for it.

Heck, a quartz Seiko keeps better time than a Rolex if you are "performance" oriented. If resale, pride of ownership, and sex appeal matter, get the Rolex. I've seen lots of Camaros that could beat a Ferrari at the track. I'll still take any Ferrari over any Camaro.
I'd prefer a (Rolex + 1969 Yenko) over a (Seiko + any Ferrari) - even if I could afford to buy a Ferrari :laugh:

You guys actually hit my MAJOR 3nd love #1 is my family, #2 is the USMC and wet shaving is right up there.

I've collected The Rolex Watch for over 36 years.
Received my first 2 tone Date Just when I got out of Boot from my Folks who actually disowned me the week I graduated from high school and enlisted in the USMC. Long story My Brother's graduated from West Point. My 1rst Cousin just retired from the Air Force a Brigadier General, Stephen Lanning, Military Family.

They forgave me and I retired 32 years later and now own a respectable number of New and pre owned Watches.

My advice as a collector ORIGINAL is what you want if buying used as an investment. By this I mean everything from the Bezel to the Crystal, (not the one that came on the watch but the exact original duplicate). Diamond bezels, saphire crystals, Pearl faces all nice for your watch and not a terrible thing to buy aftermarket. Buy an original and add these things yourself if cannot find what you want. Otherwise, plan to own the watch untill you can take a loss.
An Original Rolex is like Gold, they appreciate. After learning this early on I have NEVER lost money on a watch and I've bought and sold a few.

It's intersting to hear the much more knowledgeable/experienced crowd speak up. I am not a complete dunce in reference to good watches, I at least know Patek Phillippe. I have noticed a stark contrast in the amount of Rolex's being sold in comparison to other watches. I have a couple of other hobbies where a specific maker is in high demand and well thought of (like Rolex), but it's almost impossible to get one, let alone at a good price. Whenever it does come on for sale on the forum, it's usually snapped up within minutes. I would say, as a rough estimate, that the sales forum at TZ and rolexforums (not a fair comparison I know) are at LEAST 1/3 Rolex's. More knowledgeable gentlemen, can you educate me? Thanks!

Jason

Its all very simple you see. Rolex manufactures over 1 million watches per year and pretty much sells every one. The next largest Swiss manufacturer is Omega and as I recall they sell maybe 200,000. If you took every quality Swiss manufacturer and added up their production you wouldn't equal Rolex.

So why does Rolex have this loyal following? This is my theory. Back in the 1920s when Rolex started out they 1-were just another watchmaker, nothing special and 2-because they started out with wristwatches they didn't have to go through all the agony other watchmakers went through to adapt pocket to wrist. Many of their claims as to watch innovations are very liberal like their claims for inventing the oyster case and claims in relation to automatic watches and dive watches in general.

However they made a very smart decision back when the quartz revolution began. While other manufacturers had their heads in the sand rolex saw the handwriting on the wall and began to aggressively market their watches to a specific clientele and by the time other manufacturers caught on Rolex was like a rolling snowball and pretty much dominated Swiss watchmaking being able to continue their own manufacture of movements and slowly buying up their suppliers making them pretty much a complete manufacture (though not as complete as Seiko).

So that's why when you ask the average person who doesn't know squat about watches what they want to buy when the "make it" in the world most will say Rolex. There are a few other brands that are well know too but nothing like rolex and they continue to market and control the market to ensure they remain top dog and guard their reputation.

Just as an example, do you know if you buy a New Rolex in Europe while on a visit from an authorized dealer and you bring it back to the U.S it will be seized by Customs. You have to buy in the U.S. There is just an exclusion for Military who buy in a PX overseas and they can bring back 2 watches in their lifetime.

Interesting bit of history. I have not saw a Rolex for sale in a BX or PX overseas in about 8 years (last time in Germany), but they may still be there without my knowledge. I am currently stationed overseas (for another week), and they don't sell them in Asia! I hope they maintain a hold on the market, because if they don't people are going to have some hard to sell watches!

Top Bottom