Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Used Rolex Purchase

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Used Rolex Purchase

Hi gents,

Two expectations are certain: I want a Rolex and it won't be new. I still want something really nice, and with the mass amount of fakes out there, I do get nervous. I am considering pulling the trigger from this website: www.timeandgems.com What do you guys think? They have an A+ rating from BBB.

I appreciate your thoughts.
    Jason

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Images

I don't have any idea about this web site, but good luck with your hunt!
    Shawn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Wingate's has probably the deepest inventory of used high-end watches (including Rolexes) on the intertubes. They've been around forever and have an excellent reputation.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jherm77 View Post
    Hi gents,

Two expectations are certain: I want a Rolex and it won't be new. I still want something really nice, and with the mass amount of fakes out there, I do get nervous. I am considering pulling the trigger from this website: www.timeandgems.com What do you guys think? They have an A+ rating from BBB.

I appreciate your thoughts.
    Which model you interested in and what's your budget? Are you a member of any watch forums? There are quite a few legit sellers on the different watch forums. Just a quick glance but, I'd believe they would easily beat the prices listed in your link.
    AD's are also hurting for business, so don't mark them off your list too soon. If you are looking at SS models (other than the Daytona) you should be able to get a 15-25% discount if paying cash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can recommend Bernard Watch without hesitation. I've bought from them on two occasions and have been quite satisfied. I've also purchased from The Watchseller and recommend them highly.
    . Paul .

======
    Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird. It's a plane. It's Suuuu-per Badger!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

remember a few things,
    1) beware of bargins, Rolex is well known for protecting its brand image and therefore interferes alot with the 2nd hand market, it invests alot of money in rebuying stock and has a buyback program to make sure its watches retain their value even in the 2nd hand market, meaning that a rolex "bargin" is suscipicious in general,

2) know your seller, we might be use to the cheap chinese "trolex" watches, but there have been falsifications coming from places like china, turkey, eastern europe that use proper mechanical movements and well finished casings, which arent the common 5 buck on the street phoneys, they are still fake rolexes and arent worth the money, you can get a "proper" fake trolex with a swiss ETA.S.A movement and a well finished case for 200-500 dollars (depending on quality and finish) and those watches will even fool some experts when not properly inspected and disassmbled, thats why its important to know you you´re buying from,

3) and always when buying a 2nd hand mecanical, make sure it keeps good time and the power reserve is ok (should run in to the 40-50 hours with a normal automatic rolex), i shouldnt have to remind you that servicing a rolex can be expencive, you could find youself shelling out 400-600 dollars more then what you paid for it just to get it to proper working order,
    A man who has died with no regret is a man who is either a fool or a psychopath,

There are things you can not apologize for, the ability to carry the consequences for your actions is the mark of a true man,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In addition the classified section on timzone.com, check your area for mom and pop jewelers that may sell used watches or can find you what you want. I picked up my GMT II in such a way. I told the jeweler what I was looking for and he used his "network" to find it for me. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I suggest purchasing from the classified section of The Rolex Forums. Two sellers I recommend would be DavidSW and TempoKing.
    Matthew |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've purchased three used Rolexes over the years. One was an online purchase - a genuine Rolex, but it had issues that cost more to repair than what I paid for the watch. I ended up trading it in.

The other two I purchased from local brick and mortar jewelers with good reputations. I had no issues with either of those, and both (one a 1953 model and the other from the 1980s) are still being used daily and running perfectly.

+1 to the comment about the cost of maintenance. A normal bi-annual (or so) cleaning costs between $400 and $600.

And no, I don't wear both of them daily - the newer one was present to my son when he graduated from university summa cum laude.
    Last edited by texquill; 01-24-2010 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Limited vocabulary!
    Ken

"[I][SIZE="1"]The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets[/SIZE][/I]" [SIZE="1"]Samuel Langhorne Clemens[/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by texquill View Post
    +1 to the comment about the cost of maintenance. A normal bi-annual (or so) cleaning costs between $400 and $600.
    You only need it every five years.
    Matthew |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mretzloff View Post
    You only need it every five years.
    YMMV. I wear my 56 year old stainless and gold every day from wake up till late-thirty, and it typically needs a cleaning (including replacing the crystal), every 2 - 3 years.
    Ken

"[I][SIZE="1"]The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets[/SIZE][/I]" [SIZE="1"]Samuel Langhorne Clemens[/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

it depends on the age of the watch, advances in mechanics, oil composition, alloys used and the replacement of glass and plexi with sapphire has increased time between services, a modern automatic watch can go up to 5 years, and omega claims that their coaxial escapement movements can go up to 10 years (i wouldnt test that one), buy if you but a older 2nd hand rolex, you might find you have to service it every 2-3 years,
    A man who has died with no regret is a man who is either a fool or a psychopath,

There are things you can not apologize for, the ability to carry the consequences for your actions is the mark of a true man,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would first go to an authorized rolex dealer, I have never been to one that didn't have a big selection of used watches. Then you get to try them on, see em, talk to someone etc. Hey its always fun hunting for watches. And don't pin yourself in with one brand, try other watches. Whenever I see a Rolex the first thing I think is "Is it real", when I see a breitling, Omega, IWC, Patek, I don't have the same thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mretzloff View Post
    I suggest purchasing from the classified section of The Rolex Forums. Two sellers I recommend would be DavidSW and TempoKing.
    Excellent advice

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Images

Seeing as you are happy with the idea of buying a used watch, I would suggest that you check the Sales Corner at Time Zone . This is a person-to-person marketplace much like here on B&B. I'm sure that you will find the pricing of the watches to be attractive (ie no middle men) and you will need to "buy the seller" as much as buying the watch, but hopefully you can find what you are looking for.
    David

We have all agreed to the TOU, why not read and understand them?

When were you last in The Library?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeit View Post
    I would first go to an authorized rolex dealer, I have never been to one that didn't have a big selection of used watches. Then you get to try them on, see em, talk to someone etc. Hey its always fun hunting for watches. And don't pin yourself in with one brand, try other watches. Whenever I see a Rolex the first thing I think is "Is it real", when I see a breitling, Omega, IWC, Patek, I don't have the same thought.
    I bought my 1969 Rolex Stainless Steel Date at Tourneau in 1993 for $1,000.00.

http://www.tourneau.com/Tourneau/

I might have paid a little more but I was guaranteed a genuine Rolex that was in great condition with a new bracelet.

My suggest is to not look for a good price, but to look for a reputable seller. And Tourneau has a great selection of other brands.

BTW, I had Watch AD, and my Rolex cured it. I haven't bought another watch since except for my backpacking Casio at $20.00.

Have fun!
    Friends Don't Let Friends Shave with Williams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My only comment is why do you want a Rolex? There are plenty of watches out there the equal to or better than Rolex where you could buy new for the same price as a vintage Rolex. Everything about a Rolex is more expensive, the initial price, service, parts.

Many people who buy Rolex buy it for the mistaken notion it is the best watch in the world or it's a brand recognition prestige thing.

Now I'm not saying Rolex isn't a great watch, it certainly is. If you spend some time on Timezone you'll see the continual Rolex war that always goes on there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by texquill View Post
    A normal bi-annual (or so) cleaning costs between $400 and $600.
    My watchmaker charges $175.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

I'll second bernardwatch...good service and decent prices.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast