What's new

Blade questions

I am a recent convert to full wet shaving. I have used a brush and soap for about 13 years but was given the book Goumet shaving for my birthday this November and am using a DE razor now. My wifes grandfather had 2 superspeeds a blue tip and a silver. I went to the store and grabbed a pack of Personnas (the store brand). I was shaving pretty good with them. The occasional nick, most likely bad technique. But in general my face was not ever torn up or really raw and I was getting pretty good shaves, sometimes almost BBS.

This chistmas I was given a Merkur long handled open comb and some creams and I ordered a sampler pack and some other blades I wanted to try.

I have only gone through two of the blades, Derby and Shark super chrome. But it looked like Sweeney Todd got a hold of me after the Derby blade (5 shaves total) and my face was on fire after the Shark blade (3 shaves so far).

Should the difference be so drastic? I have used all the blades in each of the razors so that I would be able to compare the Personna blades in my Superspeeds and Merkur to the new blades in a Superspeed and in the Merkur.

I have noticed that the Derby and Shark blades stick out of the razor farther that the Personna. I have seen the list of blade measurements on razor and brush and wondered if that is my problem. Any help for a newbie will be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Eric

In short, no the difference should not be to drastic. With the information you provided it seems that a few things could be the source of the problem. First, you might be using too much pressure when shaving. Pressure with a DE is a not going to deliver a better shave. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you and remember that each pass is for reduction, not elimination. The other problem could be the switch from soap to creams. You may not have latered up the creams well enough. Also, when DE shaving limit the number of changes during experiments. New blades plus a switch from soap to creams may be a bit too much for a newbie.

Finally, the blades themselves may be a problem for you. A lot of folks can get excellent results from Derby blades - I can't. I get an irritation for some reason that I can't explain which is why I avoid them. I've never used Sharks so I can't give any information. Since you've gotten poor results with both blades I think that it's more an issue with your technique than the blades themselves. Take your time and use a light touch and stick with the soaps for a little longer. Good luck and keep at it - you'll find a combination that works for you soon.

Sorry should have mentioned I am using the Proraso cream in the CO Bigilow tube. I have used it plenty before going to the DE and love it so Hopefully that isn't messing me up. I will try with the soap just incase.

I also have been trying to not use any pressure because I have been reading the posts on this site, but as a newbie maybe I'm still pushing without realizing it.

I really appreciate your input. After another shave or two with this shark blade I think I will go back to the Personna just to see if I get a decent shave again or still tear up my face. If I do get torn up I'll know I have changed something about my technique from when I was getting good, comfortable shaves before.

Use what works best for you. However, U.S. Personnas are widely considered to be terrible blades. Derbys and Sharks, while not uniformly praised, definitely have a lot of followers. I've never used Personnas, so maybe they are just incredibly mild and that's why folks dont like them. If that's the case, you'll need to ease up on your pressure considerably with the more popular blades.

Went back to the Personna (Walmart) blade for a couple of shaves this week. Using my Super Speed and Bigelo cream. Back to getting a good shave. I will at the very least finish out this week with the Personna and maybe next week try another blade from the sampler pack in my Super Speed using Proraso so that the only change will be the blade.

I have recently returned to traditional wet shaving. My best shave yet was with a '49 Aristocrat using Gillette 7 o'clock yellow box. A close second was with a '50 SS using Derby's.

You were getting good shaves from the Gillette but not the Merkur? If this is the case thats what I discovered as well. I started with a Merkur 33C and got tore up a few times, then switched to a vintage Superspeed and have not had any problems no matter what blade. I tried the Walmart pesonnas and they were just fine. I believe the Gillette is less aggressive than the Merkur and that is the difference you are experiencing.

My best shave to date was with my Gillette Super Speed, Blue Bird blade, and tabac soap.

Last edited:
When I first started using a DE, I started with an Old Style Gillette (open comb) I got off of Ebay for 14 dollars, and the Wally Personnas. With that combination, I quickly learned a light touch kept me from bloody massacre morning. Now, I have several razors and blades. I actually find the Personna blades to work great. I still am not good at using open combs no matter the blade, but Personnas work well, especially after a bit of practice. No shame in using them all the time.

The SS is generally considered to be a fairly mild razor, I am not familiar enough to with the Merkur to give an opinion on how it compares to the SS.

Is it possible that the long handle is causing your angle or pressure to be incorrect? You also mention that you were given some new creams, could lather also be part of the problem?

I would say try the Derby and/or Shark in the SS with your usual prep and lather to see if it is the razor or the blade.

Good luck, and if Personnas are the blade that gives you the best shave, stick with them.

I had an issue with razor burn when I started.

Once I slowed down and focused, started checking my blade angle, and got careful about not shaving the same spot without lather, razor burn has disappeared for me.

Just hang in there and it'll get better.
It's gotten better for me, thanks to everyone here.

Michael

You were getting good shaves from the Gillette but not the Merkur? If this is the case thats what I discovered as well. I started with a Merkur 33C and got tore up a few times, then switched to a vintage Superspeed and have not had any problems no matter what blade. I tried the Walmart pesonnas and they were just fine. I believe the Gillette is less aggressive than the Merkur and that is the difference you are experiencing.

My best shave to date was with my Gillette Super Speed, Blue Bird blade, and tabac soap.

Really it's the personnas that were the difference. I tried the Derbys and the Sharks in both the Merkur and the SS. It didn't matter what razor they were in it looking like something out of a horror film when I was done. My brother says he likes the Red Personnas so I think after this week is over that will be my next test blade. I will use in the SS only to make sure the problem isn't the Merkur. If it works well in the SS I will try the Merkur and see if that is any better. I will also try the Walmart Personnas in the Merkur soon to see how they shave in it.

I don't doubt the bad experience you had with the Derby.
They always chew up my face. I'll probably never use them again since Astras work so well for me.

If you just started DE shaving then it's best to not change too many variables. If one blade is working for you then stick with it until your technique is where it should be.

But if you are still looking for the "right" blade then I suggest you order a blade sampler pack.

Really it's the personnas that were the difference. I tried the Derbys and the Sharks in both the Merkur and the SS. It didn't matter what razor they were in it looking like something out of a horror film when I was done. My brother says he likes the Red Personnas so I think after this week is over that will be my next test blade. I will use in the SS only to make sure the problem isn't the Merkur. If it works well in the SS I will try the Merkur and see if that is any better. I will also try the Walmart Personnas in the Merkur soon to see how they shave in it.

Yes def try different combos. The only blade I coudn't get along with is Feather...Hell I even like Merkur blades.

My favs so far are Kai,and Blue Bird.

I don't doubt the bad experience you had with the Derby.
They always chew up my face. I'll probably never use them again since Astras work so well for me.

If you just started DE shaving then it's best to not change too many variables. If one blade is working for you then stick with it until your technique is where it should be.

But if you are still looking for the "right" blade then I suggest you order a blade sampler pack.

I have a sampler pack and ordered some varieties not included with the pack. Just going back to the Personnas to give the face a rest. The Personnas still tug a little so I will definitely keep trying blades to see if I can find one or some a little better.

I have a sampler pack and ordered some varieties not included with the pack. Just going back to the Personnas to give the face a rest. The Personnas still tug a little so I will definitely keep trying blades to see if I can find one or some a little better.

You might also want to try Crystals (Israeli Personas). They shave similarly to the Red Personas but are a little sharper.

Derbys and Blue Birds cut me up. Lords and Sharks irritate my face. Feathers drew blood and didn't last for more than 2 shaves. Kai were ok, but no better than Astra for me and the Astras are cheaper.

Along with the previously mentioned Personas my face gets along with Gillette blades, 7 O'Clocks, Astra SP and Iridiums. YMMV

Peter

Everybody's face & beard are different. Hence the reason why we have so many different blades. What works best for you will take some discovery.

Whenever I have a poor shave, I take a step back the next day and consciously refocus on my technique - blade angle, no pressure, going slow. The result is usually a DFS.

Nice!

Well, I'm sure, with all the options before you, you will the right blade.
Let us know how it goes.

The shave on Sunday was a disaster. It was an oversite on my part. When I put the new blade (Personna Walmart) in it looked like it was protruding out of the razor more than usual but it didn't really trigger anything in my head. Well...I got a nice slice on my right cheek halfway through my second pass. Just so you know I was thinking the whole time the the shave felt really rough. I was using my blue tip silver speed and I don't think it is tightening up on the blade like it is supposed to. When I switched the blade to the silver tip it was a lot less exposed. I switched back a forth a couple of time to verify my hunch and the blade was more exposed in the blue tip. I'll have to look closer at the razor and see if something is malfunctioning.

I plan on trying the Red Personnas this week. Wish me luck.

Have you reviewed all the basics?

proper prep
proper lather
multi-pass shaves in at least 2 directions
angle
pressure

Yes, I think all those were pretty good, I will pay close attention though. The problem with the sunday shave was not getting the blade tightened enough in the razor. That left it at an angle that was too straigh out from the razor.

Shave last night was pretty good but only did WTG and 2 XTG passes because of the cut from sundays shave. Actually pretty close for not going ATG. Tomorrow I'll start on a Red Personna Blade.

I really appreciate everyone chipping in with helpful suggestions.

Top Bottom