What's new

Favorite scent specific soaps

Since so many newbies are joining this site, I wonder if it would be helpful to hear from some of you about the best brands for scent specific soaps. I am fully aware that this is very subjective but I think that it would be helpful nonetheless.

I am fairly new to this site but I have been a wet shaver for many years. My choice of soaps was limited to English Lavender and Old Spice until my supply of these discontinued soaps was exhausted. I do have one unopened Old Spice left that I am saving as part of my retirement funding.

What I think would be helpful is a discussion on the finest soaps in the most popular, again subjective, scents.

For example, Lavender, Sandalwood, Bay Rum, Rose and perhaps Old Spice clones.

I have enjoyed finding some new resources for soaps (and creams as well) that I would never have encountered were it not for this site, and for that I am grateful.

Thank you in advance for all of your advice.

Doug

The best ________ scented soap.

Green Tea: Provence Sante
Violet: Trumper's
Sea Buckthorn: Muhle/Edwin Jagger/HJM
Animal By-products: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Off Outdoors Mosquito Repellent: Williams

Sandalwood - Don't have any but I hear Art of Shaving's Sandalwood soap smells really nice. Edit: I do have Trumper's Sandalwood soap but I understand it's nowhere near a true sandalwood scent. Smells nice though.

Bay Rum - Ogallala's Bay Rum soaps

Rose - Trumper's Rose

Old Spice clones - Mama Bear's Aged Spice

Floral - Tabac

Clean/Soapy - Kent / Mitchell's Wool Fat

Fruity - Trumper's Coconut

Spicy / Musk - Safari by Ralph Lauren

Woody / Mossy - Irisch Moos

Food - Cella (very nice bitter almond scent)

Cologne - Creed Green Irish Tweed

Last edited:
I just had to chime in. PS Green Tea, while a great soap, smells nothing like Green Tea to me. I drink about 8 cups of 4 different kinds of Green Tea a day and I am still looking for that note in PS. It smells like the seashore to my nose as odd as that sounds.

this is a good question.

sandalwood goes to AOS

Lavender is Harris, although I like AOS better and performance of AOS better.

Synthetic is Penhaligons English Fern or Floris No.89, both are amazing.

Sandalwood: AoS (hard, tallow-based, EO-scented) or Straight Razor Designs (glycerin & EO-scented). Actually, if you can find it the gold standard for a sandalwood scent (imho) is QED's Sandalwood. Sadly, however, it's out of production.

Lavender: QED (glycerin - EO-scented & like having a lavender farm in your bathroom), TGQ (glycerin - she makes a couple of lavender variants. Her Savon de Campagne is amazing.) Czech & Speake (tallow-based & 3x milled. Not strictly a single-note lavender, more like lavender + mint. Great stuff!) Martin de Candre (French, vegetable-based hard soap. Again, not a strict, 1-note lavender -- more like a "clean laundry" scent. If you can get over the sticker shock from the shipping costs, this is great stuff indeed.)

Rose: Trumper (hard, 3x milled. Low-key, very genteel rose scent, and an excellent soap.) Straight Razor Designs Bulgarian Rose (the Gold Standard, imho, for a rose scent. Real rose EO, $50/tub for a glycerin soap & worth every penny.) QED Sandalwood/Rose (Part of a B&B group buy that member Gruder & myself co-ran this past May. EO-based scent. No more is being made. If you can find it, it's well worth having.) EDIT: Forgot to add SCS's Rosa Damascena soap. Made with real rose EO. Sue makes great soaps!

Bay Rum: TGQ's Bay Rum w/Sweet Orange (absolutely amazing scent. All EO-based & a great soap.) Mama Bear's Marauder's Citrus (similar to TGQ's scent. Glycerin-based; good stuff!) Ogalalla's various Bay Rum soaps (glycerin-based. I don't own any but they get huge props on this forum.)

One shaver's opinion. :wink: This should be a good place to start. Hope it was helpful!

Top Bottom