What's new

Question about washing brushes....

So I bought a couple of new brushes...one was an Omega Stripey pure badger....not expensive...and after reading a few things around here I decided to give them a good cleaning before using.

After a little research my cleanse involved sitting in hot water, then a lather with dish soap, another soak to clean it, then a soak in white vinegar and water, and then a lather with conditioner, and another soak.

Anyway, my question is: when I put the brush in the water before the dish soap it turned the water yellow. After the dish soap...it didn't. Is that normal?

That's what I figured, but I wanted to make sure. I love a good clean brush. Gotta get it in some TOBS almond to get rid of the vinegar smell.

Soak it in hot water and Ajax for an hour. Kills any nasty smell, sanitizes it, and softens the brush up as well.

I have two badger brushes and a third I got for the son, I do not recall any yellow water when they soaked the first time. I also have a cheap, boar bristle bristle I think, brush I got at a Pharmacy. I do not recall yellow water from it either. You could drop the manufacturer an email and ask if your experience is normal.

Some manufacturers use dye & different sorts of coloring to get a more "correct" look.
Very common with boar brushes (ever seen any live striped boars? :lol: )
And some do it to badgers as well, especially cheaper ones, the lower grade hair doesn't look "right" is is colored to look "right"
Probably some left over dye that discolored your water.

Top Bottom