What's new

Single Ring At A Double Ring Price

would that price reflect the razor serial # matching the box #....?

the complete set...?

it is a very nice set - I wonder which of our B&B buds picked it up?

It's a beautiful razor, in any event.

It always strikes me how much the early Gillette packaging looked like currency. Just substitute K.C. Gillette's face for George Washington.

Wow, that price puts to shame what I just paid for a Single ring in a matching case. I can wait to get ahold of mine and try it out.

I think it sold for so much because it is an extremely rare set in collector's condition... closest to mint you can get with those early gillettes. Single ring for a double ring price?... something like that: I think if a double ring was up for auction in that condition will the shipper and all it would sell for $400+ maybe $500+.

I think it sold for so much because it is an extremely rare set in collector's condition... closest to mint you can get with those early gillettes. Single ring for a double ring price?... something like that: I think if a double ring was up for auction in that condition will the shipper and all it would sell for $400+ maybe $500+.

I paid no were near that but today's market is a bit higher. Again I'd have to ask if the whole set matches. I'd have to respectfully disagree that this is the closest to mint you can get. Perhaps the closest thing you've seen is a more appropriate statement.

I paid no were near that but today's market is a bit higher. Again I'd have to ask if the whole set matches. I'd have to respectfully disagree that this is the closest to mint you can get. Perhaps the closest thing you've seen is a more appropriate statement.

In the Q/A section of the listing it is said that the serial numbers are matching. Of course I say closest to mint loosely but find me an early 1906 single ring with with a case and shipper like that that. Was the price high? To me, yeah, but I'm sure a serious collector was happy to pay it and it looks like they got a really nice piece.

It depends how you look at it, Since the serial number places the set in 1906, 5 dollars back then was a lot of money. Compared $5 dollars back then to what it would have been worth in 2008 using the following website. Here are the results.

Current data is only available till 2008. In 2008, $5.00 from 1906 is worth:
$123.45 using the Consumer Price Index
$94.09 using the GDP deflator
$268.26 using the value of consumer bundle
$518.48 using the unskilled wage
$652.81 using the nominal GDP per capita
$2,326.51 using the relative share of GDP

Only went for about half of what it was work in Unskilled Wages.

That is not an unreasonable price! More than I bid, but I'm not surprised. The case was in beautiful condition. The only razor from that era that I liked more is sitting in Lucky's display case (after having passed through Guido's loving hands!).

In the Q/A section of the listing it is said that the serial numbers are matching. Of course I say closest to mint loosely but find me an early 1906 single ring with with a case and shipper like that that. Was the price high? To me, yeah, but I'm sure a serious collector was happy to pay it and it looks like they got a really nice piece.

I didn't catch the Q/A section. In that case it is a decent price for a collector piece. Just glad I have the ones I have already. I've not been looking in quite some time.

It is a mint NOS with the numbers on the handle and shipper matching making the set as a whole easily worth the $280.

I wouldn't call it mint or NOS myself. What it is, is a very nice set with a great condition shipper. Value? To the person who bought it it's worth at least what he paid.

I have a very nice Double ring from 1905 with correct blade boxes and great condition case, I think I paid $212 on eBay (in November?). It had a shipper, but it was the wrong shipper (knew that when bidding, it was for a Bostonian IIRC).

Then there is the Single Ring in this style case (no shipper or blade boxes) with a serial number that puts it in late 1095. Paid around $50 for that one. And a gorgeous 1907 Single Ring in a scroll case that is exceptionally fine, with these same blade boxes and instructions, $50.

Really, the components have to be factored in for value (as someone mentioned, this one had no instructions, but it also had that awesome shipper). Then a range determined.

To me, this might have been worth half the winning bid, perhaps a bit more. But to others, it was obviously worth quite a bit more.

I have exactly the same set with the same case and blade cases. Also the serial numbers are very close with mine 242 numbers earlier. Everything about mine is excellent but no shipper. I paid $120 less. Is the shipper worth $120 ? I'm sure to some collectors it is, but not me.

Len

It depends how you look at it, Since the serial number places the set in 1906, 5 dollars back then was a lot of money. Compared $5 dollars back then to what it would have been worth in 2008 using the following website. Here are the results.

Current data is only available till 2008. In 2008, $5.00 from 1906 is worth:
$123.45 using the Consumer Price Index
$94.09 using the GDP deflator
$268.26 using the value of consumer bundle
$518.48 using the unskilled wage
$652.81 using the nominal GDP per capita
$2,326.51 using the relative share of GDP

Only went for about half of what it was work in Unskilled Wages.

Damn! Just imagine how much 30 dollars would have been back then. I can't remember now, but I think there was some Gillette razor around then (or not long after) that sold for 30 dollars! It was either the really fancy single rings, the New Deluxe, or something...the New President?
I can't remember but someone here had one with the original price on it and it was 30 bucks and it was from the 1900's-1930's...

Damn! Just imagine how much 30 dollars would have been back then. ...

I just read a N-F book set in the period from around 1915-1920 involving research scientists and doctors at the Hopkins and other prestigious institutions.
These guys were ecstatic to get contracts at $3500-5000 a year. Reputable physicians in big cities were considered quite successful to be pulling down $500/month. A man could provide a quite comfortable living for his family on a $3000/yr. salary.

So yeah, for the average Joe, $30 was a good chunk of a week's pay. And in 1930, that'd likely be a six day, 10 hr./day week.

What would your SWMBO say if you spent most of a weeks pay on a fancy razor? :angry: Mine would probably say nothing. She'd just kill me in my sleep.

Last edited:
Top Bottom