What's new

What Are You Reading?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Piers Anthony's Xanth novels are tied together, but given the comedic nature of the series, each book is not exactly a direct continuation of the previous one.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Has ANY author managed to pull off a five or six book adult fiction series with continuing plots and themes, without crashing and burning? I can't think of one offhand.

The premise of a series if you are speaking of serious literature is almost an oxymoron. Either they are carbons, and thus boring, or wildly different, in which case they can't possess continuing plots and themes. Much of the series fiction is more akin to a comic strip, which is fine if you realize that it is just the same-old, dejavu all over again ..

It's like eating at MacDonald's. You know in advance it is crap, but that it will be exactly the same crap you remember, and most people find comfort in the familiar.

Has ANY author managed to pull off a five or six book adult fiction series with continuing plots and themes, without crashing and burning? I can't think of one offhand.

Ultimately, it's completely subjective. While some may find those issues with a longer series, many others may not.

Frank Herbert's Dune series was 6 books, and I enjoyed all of it. Though many think Messiah, Heretics and Chapterhouse sucked.

I think that my favourite would be Asimov's Foundation series. I suppose it's not an adult fiction series, but it was excellent. Of course, the best part of Foundation is the original trilogy. The addition of the extra four books dilluted it a bit.

I'm finishing up The Dresden Files Bigfoot short stories. I'm a Dresden fan, and I've read all the major books, most of the short stories, and some of the comics. Finally getting around to finishing off some of the ones I've missed.

A woman of courage on the West Virginia frontier by Robert Thompson. My wife is a descendant of Phebe Cunningham who was held captive by the Wyandots.

THE DOOR TO DECEMBER by Dean Koontz. My wife and I were watching a netflix series called Stranger Things. We were trying to pick off all the 1980 & early '90 references (King, ET, Stand by Me, Eerie Indiana) and I told her it reminded me of an 80's Dean Koontz book I had read. I found a 1985 edition of TDTD on my bookshelf, released under his alias Richard Paige, so I decided to read it again after 30 years.

THE DOOR TO DECEMBER by Dean Koontz. My wife and I were watching a netflix series called Stranger Things. We were trying to pick off all the 1980 & early '90 references (King, ET, Stand by Me, Eerie Indiana) and I told her it reminded me of an 80's Dean Koontz book I had read. I found a 1985 edition of TDTD on my bookshelf, released under his alias Richard Paige, so I decided to read it again after 30 years.

Is that the Spielberg / King collaboration? I've heard it's worth watching.

I'm currently reading Secondhand Seals written by Christopher Moore. It's the sequel to A Dirty Job. Extremely hilarious, just like all of his books!

The Dresden Files have already been mentioned and I would add Keith Laumer's Retief series and of course writers such as Rex Stout or Louis Lamour's Sackett Series

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Anna Karenina, Novel by Leo Tolstoy. Very difficult for me :(

I have tried to get through that, and War and Peace, several times each. I don't know why I can't make it through. It is not the size of the book, that doesn't bother me. Unlike Dostoevsky, Tolstoy just doesn't grab me.

I'm just starting on "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair. It's one of those books that I think I've read but can't remember reading it! Thank you Project Gutenberg!

Top Bottom