What's new

What Are You Reading?

I'm reading The IKEA Catalog.

For someone like me, with little time to sit down with a book and a somewhat limited attention span,
IKEA has some great little articles and short stories that go far beyond furniture.

The website s basically just for reference, shopping and purchases.
But the paper version gives you a place to think and dream and explore and use your imagination,
and that's what a good book should do.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm reading The IKEA Catalog.

For someone like me, with little time to sit down with a book and a somewhat limited attention span,
IKEA has some great little articles and short stories that go far beyond furniture.

The website s basically just for reference, shopping and purchases.
But the paper version gives you a place to think and dream and explore and use your imagination,
and that's what a good book should do.
+1

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have owned Don Quixote for about 3 months, but it is hard to read with a 3 year old angel and princess who loves you to death in the house. Most of my off time is spent with her in my lap reading somewhat lighter material to her. I will get to it shortly.
$IMG_2750.jpg

Last edited:
Very cute. Forget about Cervantes and stick with her. I never did make it through Don Quixote, and that was before I had kids to distract me. One of the only books I put down and never went back to.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
oc_in_fw, that little beauty is worth every second of time you can spend with her!
Yep. I know we shouldn't have favorites, but she holds a special place with me. Maybe it is because I have spent more time with her than the other grandchildren. Plus, she reminds me of a mini version of her grandmother- even in temperament. She is a total sweetie, until you make her mad. Because of that, I call her Little Mary.

The new Tana French book "The Trespasser." Listening to on audible, actually. Really good. I like myself a good police procedural. Seems particularly well-written and well-read. Great use of what I assume is authentic Irish police jargon. My favorite of hers so far, unless something goes off with the plot. Seems to me in the past some of her plotting has seemed not so credible to me.

I just finished this. It was good, but I thought the plot petered out toward the end.

Been a while since I've checked in...

• Read The Ghostfaces, book 6 in The Brotherband Chronicles. Not nearly as good as the previous books, but it's an interesting story, particularly so near Thanksgiving.
  • Finished StrengthsFinder 2.0. I'm not sure why, but I didn't find it nearly as transformational as many people have suggested.
  • Finally finished The Book of Lost Tales, Part One. I enjoy reading the alternate takes on the stories, but I had to start skipping over Christopher's commentary. It just bogged everything down.
  • War Cry, Dresden Files comic. Meh.
  • Day One, Dresden Short Story about Molly. Good read.
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Not really worth the read (and this from someone who loves the entire Potter series).

I'm currently reading Hero, the latest Drizzt book from R.A. Salvatore.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
"Poison Fruit," by Jacqeline Carey. The final book in her Agent of Hel trilogy. I breezed right through the other two. Good reads.

An old classic by William Makepeace Thackeray (no lie) called 'Vanity Fair'.

I got it because it was on the sale rack and very long and I knew I was going to be laid up for a while.
It turns out it's about a group who travel in upper class English circles during the Napoleonic era.
And it's amazing how similar upper class English concerns are with modern middle class American ones. An easy read and very interesting to me but it might not be for everyone. A bit English and proper in a way. But the man was a good observer of the culture of the day.

Intelligent Disobedience by Ira Chaleff. It's a fabulous book. He also wrote another excellent book, Courageous Followers, Standing Up to and For Our Leaders.

I just finished reading truck mechanic Guy Martin's first 2 books, he has some sense of humor if you understand what he is talking about.

So after those, I've started into The Footballer Who Could Fly by Duncan Hamilton. He is a very good writer, with a slightly larger vocabulary than his target audience might have, but still a good read so far.

$51Q1mL81KiL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Top Bottom