What's new

What Are You Reading?

I read about five books a week and generally have nine or ten going at once. At the moment:

The End of the Cold War
-- Robert Service
Kissinger [Vol. I] -- Niall Ferguson
Fools, Frauds and Firebrands -- Roger Scruton
White Cargo -- Jordan/Walsh
Chaos and Night -- Henry de Montherlant
Notes From Underground - Norton Critical Edition -- Dostoevsky
Revolution in Danger -- Victor Serge
The Spy -- Maxim Gorky

"The Mystery of Orcival" - Emile Gaboriau
"Ubu Roi" - Alfred Jarry
"Different Every Time: The Authorized Biography of Robert Wyatt" - Marcus O'Dair
"How Not To Die" - Michael Greger

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
New one here is Swamplandia! . came upon it as it was a Pulitzer nomination a couple years back.

I started on The Bands of Mourning, the third in the new Mistborn trilogy. I think it's a trilogy anyway... It's good so far, much like the other two. I've said it before, but Wax and Wayne are really fun characters. Especially Wayne. I don't know if he's so entertaining in print, since I'm an audibook guy, or if it's the fantastic characterization of him by the narrator. But Sanderson has done a great job expanding and progressing this world and creating good characters.

I started on The Bands of Mourning, the third in the new Mistborn trilogy. I think it's a trilogy anyway... It's good so far, much like the other two. I've said it before, but Wax and Wayne are really fun characters. Especially Wayne. I don't know if he's so entertaining in print, since I'm an audibook guy, or if it's the fantastic characterization of him by the narrator. But Sanderson has done a great job expanding and progressing this world and creating good characters.

I'm still on the Hero of Ages. I got my 14-year-old stepdaughter the Mistborn trilogy and The Alloy of Law for Christmas. She's also on the Hero of Ages and is excited for the Alloy of Law. If she likes those too I'll get her the rest of the Wax & Wayne books.

I'm thinking of suggesting she read the Wheel of Time now that it's finished, and since she like Brandon Sanderson, she should like the last 3 WoT books.

I want to read Sanderson's Stormlight Archive. I tried the audiobook for The Way of Kings but I don't think I'm an audiobook guy.

I finished The Air War and moved on to The War Master's Gate (bk 9 of 10 in The Shadows of the Apt). I pushing to finish this series so I can move on to Gene Wolf's The Book of the New Sun series.

I'm still on the Hero of Ages. I got my 14-year-old stepdaughter the Mistborn trilogy and The Alloy of Law for Christmas. She's also on the Hero of Ages and is excited for the Alloy of Law. If she likes those too I'll get her the rest of the Wax & Wayne books.

I'm thinking of suggesting she read the Wheel of Time now that it's finished, and since she like Brandon Sanderson, she should like the last 3 WoT books.

I want to read Sanderson's Stormlight Archive. I tried the audiobook for The Way of Kings but I don't think I'm an audiobook guy.

Very cool! It's fun to read together like that. Alloy of Law and the rest are a little more accessible I think since they're a bit shorter and the world is semi established. But they are different as they tend strongly but aren't fully in the Western genre. And the metal powers system has changed since Mistborn. I'm curious how you guys will like them!

I want to start Stormlight, but its a little daunting. At 45hrs audio book its pretty huge! I'll take it on when I'm in a lull on books I want to read.

The Final Empire: Mistborn book 1. I managed to read a whole 9 pages before I fell asleep last night. Books are better than counting sheep for me :)

Stick with it! The beginning is a bit slow but it does pick up and hook you. :)

Pretty entertaining summary of Greek myths.
$Screenshot_2016-02-10-15-26-03.jpg

[MENTION=39093]CyberJCM[/MENTION]

It isn't the books fault! It is just an automatic response that my body seems to have if I try and read in bed :)

I'd previously read a kindle sample of the book and quite enjoyed it. Certainly looking forward to the rest of it.

[MENTION=39093]CyberJCM[/MENTION]

It isn't the books fault! It is just an automatic response that my body seems to have if I try and read in bed :)

I'd previously read a kindle sample of the book and quite enjoyed it. Certainly looking forward to the rest of it.

Haha! I gotcha! I have the same problem. I'll put on my head phones to listen to my book when I lay down at night. I have to set the 15min sleep timer because I'm lucky if I make it that long!

I read about five books a week and generally have nine or ten going at once. At the moment:

The End of the Cold War
-- Robert Service
Kissinger [Vol. I] -- Niall Ferguson
Fools, Frauds and Firebrands -- Roger Scruton
White Cargo -- Jordan/Walsh
Chaos and Night -- Henry de Montherlant
Notes From Underground - Norton Critical Edition -- Dostoevsky
Revolution in Danger -- Victor Serge
The Spy -- Maxim Gorky

wow!! how much time do you spend reading? That's an insane amount of material to get through.

Currently reading:

Sword of Shannarra - Terry Brooks
War and Peace
Century Trilogy bk 2 - Ken Follett (first book was awesome, made you really feel like you were in ww1)

Just finished The Bands of Mourning.... Good ending to this part of the saga. But he's not done in this realm yet!

Also a P.S. from Sanderson at the end that he's hard at work finishing the third Stormlight Archive book, Oathbringer, which will likely be out later this year.

Next book, Calamity, book 3 of the Reckoners. Excited for this one!

Top Bottom