What's new

What Are You Reading?

I finished up Sworn in Steel by Douglas Hulick. It's a good read. Considerably better than Among Thieves. If his writing keeps on this trajectory, then I can't wait to see what the next book in the series will bring.

Now I'm in the middle of The Journey of Desire. It's an interesting read so far.

I know I can always find great things to read here. I've been in a rut and this seems like just the thing. I really enjoyed The Lies of Locke Lamora, and this seems to be in a similar vein.

Rec'd the library download of the first six Dresden books; I had previously read the first, so I read "Fool Moon" and then last night I finished "Grave Peril". The series is starting to gel for me and I will start "Summer Knight" this evening.

Rec'd the library download of the first six Dresden books; I had previously read the first, so I read "Fool Moon" and then last night I finished "Grave Peril". The series is starting to gel for me and I will start "Summer Knight" this evening.

Summer Knight will seal your fate. Let me know when your Desdencrack addiction has you up until 2 or 3 am reading "just one more chapter."

He is probably my favorite author! Great books, women is my favorite.
I am currently reading The Martian, odd book but everyone recommends this to me.

I was underwhelmed by The Martian.

I read Finders Keepers by Steven King. It was enjoyable. Probably a 7 out of 10. It was somewhat of a sequel to Mr. Mercedes (apparently King is writing a trilogy).

I also just finished The Girl on the Train. It's an easy read, but I'm not sure I recommend it. Probably a 4 out of 10.

Summer Knight will seal your fate. Let me know when your Desdencrack addiction has you up until 2 or 3 am reading "just one more chapter."

Yep, they just keep getting better. Blood Rites was the tipping point for me. That's where they start to get REALLY good. Somewhere around the beginning of changes, you'll be emotionally connected to the series for good.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Lonesome Dove (finally)

I've been meaning to read this book for years but have just now picked it up.

Did you read the first two of the series first? Not necessary, but I did enjoy seeing the progression from Dead Man's Walk through Comanche Moon to Lonesome Dove and ending with Streets of Laredo (which I didn't enjoy as much as the other three).

Did you read the first two of the series first? Not necessary, but I did enjoy seeing the progression from Dead Man's Walk through Comanche Moon to Lonesome Dove and ending with Streets of Laredo (which I didn't enjoy as much as the other three).

No, I jumped straight in to Lonesome Dove. I'm about 1/3 the way into the book so far.

I just finished Dome City Blues, a futuristic detective novel by Jeff Edwards. I highly recommend it for fans of the genre.

I recently finished the sequel, Angel City Blues, which I enjoyed even more than the first book. It looks like the author mostly writes military fiction, being a Navy man, but I hope he returns to this science fiction world. If he comes out with a third book in the series, I will definitely pick it up.

Where did you get that download?

OK, as of last night I have completed the first six book in the Dresden Files series
1) Storm Front
2) Fool Moon
3) Grave Peril
4) Summer Knights
5) Death Masks
6) Blood Rites

I have just placed books 7 - 12 into my library queue and there are 9 people ahead of me, so it w/b about a month before that is available in eBook form.

I am using my library network (Minuteman) to get the series, I'll bet that most folks can do something similar with their local library system or borrow off system that reciprocates (several in my area do this for everything but Bluerays)

As for The Dresden Files; I could really see the shift in writing style / tone beginning with Summer Knights. I think that the author, Jim Butcher, turned a corner with the character and had enough background / development in the bank - so he could move forward with the storylines that arc throughout the series.

Each book has enough stand alone story to be enjoyable on its own, but reading them in a row was even better.

I've been largely ignoring all the Dresden talk from you guys... I've wanted nothing to do with it since that weak sauce SciFi series some years ago.

But I just saw that the series is on Audible narrated by James Marsters (Spike from Buffy), and my inner geek took over and said give it a shot. So Storm Front is now in my wish list, and I'll give it a try sometime in the future. :)

I'm still plugging away at Elantris. I like it, it's just long lol. It's funny to me how Sanderson can write a book twice as long as normal novels, where you can tell how much of it is kinda unneeded fluff and exposition, and still keep it entertaining.

I lost interest in the Dresden Files a few books ago. It seemed to me there was no resolution to any of the story arcs, just an endless piling-on of additional antagonists with each new book. It got to be too much to keep up with, as basically every sentient being within the multiverse was after Dresden's head.

I might pick up a few of the more recent books at some point, in the hopes that Something Actually Happens instead of just more new entries on an already enormous list of Dresden's enemies.

Reading a book called "White Fire".

I don't really read much, and have wanted to start reading lately. Since I don't read much, I don't really know what type of book I'm into.. I've read half of the LotR series, the first sex of the Harry Potter series, and two books from a fledgling author, but that's about it. I once read "Slaughterhouse Five" by Kurt Vonnegut, which was enjoyable, but I feel like I'm too dense to fully grasp Vonnegut's writing.

So I settled on this detective story. The writing is nice, though I find myself constantly looking up words, which I actually appreciate. The characters, however, are a bit thin. Not sure if I'll get another of this series, though probably will look for another detective novel.

Top Bottom