What's new

What Are You Reading?

All of my reading for the past 9-10 months has been on various aspects of acoustics and fluid dynamics, with a side order of psycho-acoustics. I am completely out of the loop when it comes to fiction, so if anyone else is into sci-fi or fantasy/forgotten realms type books, feel free to recommend me something!

I just finished Wolfe's The Shadow of the Torturer. I found it hard to enjoy. I like the fantasy/scfi fusion and the baroque atmosphere of Nessus. I never really warmed to Severian. Never really found the plot either. I'll be passing on the rest of the books in the series.

I'll be starting O'Brian's Master and Commander this evening.

I'll be starting O'Brian's Master and Commander this evening.
I am going to get that series a go after I finish with Sharpe! It is also one of my dad's favourites so I was thinking I would buy him the series, then borrow them as I need them.

A book called Return to Order by John Horvat II. I've yet to find a book with such a well researched and reasoned analysis of our current economic/societal problems. His solutions are also very unique, sensical and realistic. I can't reccomend it highly enough!

Two shaving books are on my reading list: The Art of Shaving by Myriam Zaoui and Eric Malka (Clarkson Potter, 2002) and Leisure Guy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving, 6th edition by Michael Ham (Pogonotomy Press, 2012)

Currently reading " The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown on my Nook. Not a bad book, I am actually reading it so I will be caught up on the Langdon series when the next book comes out in a few months. I finished "Mystic River" by Dennis Lehane last week.

Liberty and Tyranny by Mark Levine

We all declare for liberty; but in using the same word we do not all mean the same thing. With some the word liberty may mean for each man to do as he pleases with himself, and the product of his labor; while with others, the same word many mean for some men to do as they please with other men, and the product of other men's labor. Here are two, not only different, but incompatible things, called by the same name - liberty. And it follows that each of the things is, by the respective parties, called by two different and incompatible names - liberty and tyranny. Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Last edited:
I just finished "A Memory of Light" by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson. I'm now reading "Stone of Tears" by Terry Goodkind, I'll probably get back to the James Bond series after I finish this book.

Got a few going...The Crow Road by Iain Banks; The Crime of Julian Wells by Thomas H. Cook; and, Who stole the American Dream by Hedrick Smith. The latter is fairly eye-opening.

Perfumes - the A-Z Guide by Luca Turinnand Tania Sanchez

It's amazing how passionate people get about perfume. This is the second book on perfume I've started this week, and previously I had no idea what an underrated genre this is. Passion, suspense, intrigue, caustic wit, beauty, art, it's all there.

Hopefully some of the info will help me sort out a few decent shaving soap scents.

Top Bottom