What's new

What Are You Reading?

Good stuff Tim. My wife also decided to read through the bible this year for the first time cover to cover. I think she's in Exodus now. She want's to be ahead of schedule by the time summer comes around, since her desire to read declines then.

Personally, I've been on 2 kicks lately. Just came off a CS Lewis kick. I read "Miracles" and "Letters to Malcolm".

Now I'm on a bit of a fantasy kick. Have 3 series going.
Just finished "Eragon" by Christopher Paolini, and am waiting for "Eldest" to come out in Paperback.
Also recently finished the first 2 books in the cradleland trilogy by Douglas Hirt - "Return to Eden", and "Quest for Atlan". Ready to start "Fall of the Nephilim".
Yesterday I finished "Maire", book one in the Fires of Gleanmarra series by Linda Windsor.

The Rising Tide by Jeff Shaara. The first of a trilogy about the Second World War (historical fiction at its finest!)

Before that? The Shapeshifter by Tony Hillerman.

You all may laugh at my leisure reading. I spend so much time doing technical reading that I tend to go 180 degrees in the other direction when given a chance. I am currently reading "Black Wind" by Clive Cussler. Just finished up a novel by Robert Ludlum... Amber Warning or something like that.
Steve

In the crapper, I'm reading (albeit, slowly) John Irving's "Until I Find You".

At the kitchen table I'm alternating between Ben Bova's "The Green Trap", James Rollins' "Black Order", and Greg Bear's "Slant".

I confess to being a sci-fi devotee, but have a real problem with the multi-dimensional, multi-volume, fantasy worlds of more recent sci-fi. James Blish's tetralogy "Cities in Flight" was great, and bears re-reading; ditto for Asimov's "Robot" series.

Jeffrey Deaver's novels have captured my attention these past few years, as have those of Richard Morgan: "Altered Carbon", "Market Forces", and others. Perhaps most enjoyable have been the novels of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child: "Relic", "Reliquary", and more. With all of them, I highly recommend reading them in chronological order.

As for non-fiction; well, 25 years of computer science and other aspects of engineering have taken their toll. As a young man, I read more than my fair share of Landmark Books' biographies -- Winston Churchill, Teddy Roosevelt, and many more; now I shy away from what's become little more than one more incarnation of "The Cult of Personality". I think it came to a head back in 1999, when I took my 5th-grade stepson to the Public Library to look for a biography (he needed to write a book report), and the shelves were filled with ersatz-biographies of Shaquille O'Neal, Allen Iverson, and other "greats". Try as I may, I couldn't find a single one about Frank Gifford, Vince Lombardi, Joe Namath (OK, his was pretty racy stuff), Johnny Unitas, or any of the others. Even JFK's "Profiles in Courage" wasn't even listed in the catalog.

Do "Cliff's Notes" and/or "Monarch Study Guides" count? Actually, I did read some non-fiction recently -- the instruction booklet for the 2006 1040A Federal Income Tax Form. :wink:

Reading two freely available books in PDF format:
* The Awakening by Kate Chopin. PDF
* Geek Mafia by Rick Dakan. PDF

Awaiting the arrival of:
* Hannibal Rising by Thomas Harris.. (please read Hannibal and Hannibal Rising instead of seeing the horrible movie adaptation.. Harris has a way with visual descriptions...)

Just finished:
Blindsight by Peter Watts. PDF 2 stars [out of 5]

I Will Bear Witness: 1933-1941 by Victor Klemperer

Since JB broke the taboo...for the crapper I have both the Straight Dope series(original, return, triumph) and the Oxford Book of (Congressional, Military) Anecdotes.

Just came off a CS Lewis kick. I read "Miracles" and "Letters to Malcolm".

I forgot, I'm also reading "The Problem of Pain" by Lewis. I really love Lewis's writing, but I find that I can't just read it, I have study it. He is truly one brilliant man.

Just finished "All the King's Men" by Robert Penn Warren about an hour ago. I am also reading "Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Ktichen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany" by Bill Buford. Hillarious book and a great read especially if you love the kitchen and want an inside look at the lifestyle of famous chefs...Mr. Buford became friends with Mario Batali while writing this book and some of the stories he tells about him gives a whole new meaning to the work gluttony.

Okay, I finished The Promise last night. Any suggestions on what to start next? I'm looking for another novel.

I'm glad everyone is liking this thread. I know they are so many people here who are so much smarter than I, I'm glad to have the opportunity to step into your libraries and find some new books both for entertainment and enlightment. Thansk all!

The last book I read was last summer, and so the stack is building. :redface:
It was "In Cold Blood", by Truman Capote. You don't need me to tell you it was great.
It's getting about time for me to re-read "Knock on Any Door", by Willard Motley.
I have read that about every 5 years since I was a teenager. That may be my favorite book ever.

Journey to Kars by Phillip Glazebrook. Just started, can't comment on it.

I last read Weil's 8 weeks to Optimum Health. A bit predictable, but it seems to be doable. (get it from the liabrary, don't buy it)

My free reading has taken a hit this year. I read most of the Terry Goodkind series, "The Sword of Truth" last year, loved the first couple of books, but I can't seem to finish the last two books. Waaay to repetitive. I was interested a while ago in an author a friend talked about that did "fiction historical" books during the time of WW2. Can anyone help me? (not to hijack your thread):001_unsur

I just finished the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman. There's a big movie version coming out next December. It started out a little slow but by the middle of the second book I was hooked and by the end it was one of the best books I've read in years. Highly, highly recommended.

Joe

I forgot, I'm also reading "The Problem of Pain" by Lewis. I really love Lewis's writing, but I find that I can't just read it, I have study it. He is truly one brilliant man.

My tattoo artist keeps "The Problem of Pain" prominently displayed in his work booth...

When people ask him (regarding tattoos) "Doesn't it hurt?" He always replies, "Doesn't hurt me a bit!"

I just wanted to add exostim to this thread. I'm reading Contes Cruels by Jean-Marie-Mathias-Philippe-Auguste de Villiers de L'Isle-Adam.

I just finished reading 'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho. It is a short book (155 pages) who's writing reminds me of 'Jonathon Livingston Seagul' in many ways, but it seems more appropriate to these days and times. It has reminded me that we need to follow our dreams and listen to our hearts.

I am going to go and buy the other books Mr. Coelho has written now. Once in a while I finish a book and am compelled to just hold it for a while afterwards in my hands. This was one of them.

Just about to start 'The Creature from Jekyll Island : A Second Look at the Federal Reserve' :confused:

I'll let you all know how it goes.:eek:

Actually I hear the book reads like a thriller.

I've also made a New Years Resolution to read the entire Bible, actually I made it about a week ago, but that's close enough to New Years, right? I'm still in Genesis, but I'm really enjoying spending a few minutes with my Bible everyday. I've also began an individual Bible Study of the book of Proverbs, covering and studying a chapter a day. The amount of wisdom in that book is astounding. Highly beneficial for one of any faith.

Tim, you have absolutely no idea how much of the TaNaCh -- Hebrew acronym for Torah (the Bible), N'vi'im (Prophets), and Ketuvim (Writings) -- is mistranslated from the original Hebrew into English (via Greek and/or Latin), as well as misunderstood/misinterpreted, because the age-old commentaries which accompany Jewish copies of the TaNaCh are missing from the English translations.

Most Jews don't read, speak, or understand Hebrew; and only an infinitesimally-small number of non-Jews (mainly Messianic Christians) take the time to learn Hebrew, in order to read the Bible (and the rest) in it's original language.

If you do want to read excellent translations from the original Hebrew into English, I heartily recommend the wealth of books which are available from Artscroll Publishers (here in the US, in bookstores and via the Internet). Notably, these versions do contain many of the major commentaries on key passages -- you'll see the difference, as well as learn and appreciate it that much more.

Top Bottom