What's new

What Are You Reading?

Just finished We Are Completely Beside Ourselves, which I really enjoyed, and went right into The Sixth Extinction​. I usually read fiction but was interested in this one.

I'm really liking it so far. I got the first two on a good Kindle sale a couple of months ago. I'm too cheap to pay full price for the third, although that may change if I really love the first two.

I'm really liking it so far. I got the first two on a good Kindle sale a couple of months ago. I'm too cheap to pay full price for the third, although that may change if I really love the first two.

The third was 20% off at barnes and nobles for the hardcover, but honestly the way the second book ends you wont care how much the 3rd costs. I had to wait a year and a half for the third one to come out and I'm still dying to get a chance to read it.

This hilarious reworking of Return of the Jedi:
$empire striketh back.jpg

I recently finished Jumper by Steven Gould. I think I'm too old to appreciate it, as the interactions of the protagonist and others seemed to be more how a sixteen year old would imagine them to be than how they are in reality. The lead character was much too whiney for me.

I started Neil Stephenson's Reamde, and though over a thousand pages, suspect I'll get through it rather quickly. As with his other novels, it is both gripping and funny.

Just finished the Edward St. Aubyn Patrick Melrose pentalogy. Very satisfying modern literature, which I have not been able to say very often. Very funny. Very deep. Very disturbing in places. The hero truly does have a thousand faces.

Am part way through The Curmudgeon's Guide to Getting Ahead: Dos and Don'ts of Right Behavior, Tough Thinking, Clear Writing, and Living a Good Life by Charles Murray. I hope this is more tongue in cheek than it seems to be. Gives being a curmudgeon an even worse name than one would think!

Th Bible. Starting at Genesis 1 and on through to the end. Over the years I've probably read it piece by piece from sermons but never have I endeavored to read it cover to cover.

Inferno by Dan Brown.

An evil cabal plans to destroy the world, but conveniently leaves a trail of clues about their plan hidden in works of art and historical settings. Funny how evil cabals always do that. Robert Langdon uses his Art History degree to save the world (I bet his parents never saw that coming), and talks about his Mickey Mouse wristwatch a lot.

In other words, it is the same story Brown has already written two or three times before, and even when he wrote it the first time, it was just a dumbed-down ripoff of Umberto Eco.

I'll finish it, but I'm done with Dan Brown.

Inferno by Dan Brown.

An evil cabal plans to destroy the world, but conveniently leaves a trail of clues about their plan hidden in works of art and historical settings. Funny how evil cabals always do that. Robert Langdon uses his Art History degree to save the world (I bet his parents never saw that coming), and talks about his Mickey Mouse wristwatch a lot.

In other words, it is the same story Brown has already written two or three times before, and even when he wrote it the first time, it was just a dumbed-down ripoff of Umberto Eco.

I'll finish it, but I'm done with Dan Brown.

After reading the first 3 of Dan Brown's books, I came to about the same conclusion. Didn't even bother to pick up "Inferno". Sounds like I'm not missing much.

Top Bottom