What's new

What Are You Reading?

Oh nice, I'm also reading Foreigner. Polishing up book ten, Conspirator, and may take a little break from the series but I plan to finish all 16. I didn't even care for it until book 4 or 5, just kept reading it for some reason anyways.

I'm also continuing C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner series. I'm on book 6, Explorer (end of the second sequence) and have book 7, Destroyer (beginning of the third sequence) ready to go as soon as that one's finished.

I just finished The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway and tried to read Junkie, Queer, and Naked Lunch by william burroughs all in a row but couldn't make it through naked lunch. I just didn't love it as much as the first two. Now I am finishing up A Time to Kill by John Grisham and starting The Firm as well.

The problem here so that the movie is almost exactly like the book. It's almost a straight adaptation.

That's great! I want to read it and then see the movie. I really like when the movie follows as closely as possible (if it's done well) it's like you get to see what you imagined while reading come to life. For me Game of Thrones was like that to some degree, I thought they did pretty darn well with the show. (I know "true" game of thrones fans will throw a sword at me or something for saying that)

I just finished Dome City Blues, a futuristic detective novel by Jeff Edwards. I highly recommend it for fans of the genre.

That's great! I want to read it and then see the movie. I really like when the movie follows as closely as possible (if it's done well) it's like you get to see what you imagined while reading come to life.

The only movies that have done that for me were Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings. I've read the books countless times in the past and there were so many scenes that were just perfectly the way I had envisioned them. (Very not so with the Hobbit movies.)

The worst adaptation that comes to mind was "Under the Tuscan Sun" which turned a fantastic book about life in rural Italy (rehabbing an ancient villa, gardening, cooking, making olive oil, dealing with the locals) into a dreadful Hollywood love story. I highly recommend the book and wouldn't wish the movie on my enemies.

But the movie has Diane Lane. I can forgive almost anything to watch her. Reading the complete Sherlock Holmes right now.

But the movie has Diane Lane. I can forgive almost anything to watch her. Reading the complete Sherlock Holmes right now.
Agreed, absolutely nothing wrong with a movie with Diane Lane AND Sandra Oh, I have no idea what the movie was about, I just watched the 2 of them!

I just started the post apocalyptic novel "One Second After" by William Forstchen, any recommendations?

The only movies that have done that for me were Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings. I've read the books countless times in the past and there were so many scenes that were just perfectly the way I had envisioned them. (Very not so with the Hobbit movies.)

The worst adaptation that comes to mind was "Under the Tuscan Sun" which turned a fantastic book about life in rural Italy (rehabbing an ancient villa, gardening, cooking, making olive oil, dealing with the locals) into a dreadful Hollywood love story. I highly recommend the book and wouldn't wish the movie on my enemies.
I'll agree with the Lord of the Rings being pretty well done. Apparently Life of Pi was well adapted. I saw the movie but never read the book but I definitely sensed a "literary" feel to the movie.

Picked up a used paperback book by Signet for $3.50 last week.

The title is "41 Stories by O. Henry."

I'm having a great time discovering short stories and especially this author. :thumbup1:

So I'm in The Martian right now. Far enough to get a good sense of it, and it is definitely enjoyable.

But I'm gonna say it unabashedly... This is one of the rare times where I think the movie is better than the book. Yup, I said it. Don't get me wrong, its a fun book and a fun story, but I think what they did with it for the film was really well done. They trimmed it just right, moved around a few events, kept it smart and emotional in all the right ways. Oh, and losing all the language from the book didn't hurt either. Not that it bothers me, it makes the book funny, but it would be just fine without it too.

I know, its hard to believe, but I'm anxious to hear what those who've read it and seen it think!

Deceiver, book 11 of Foreigner by CJ Cherryh. One did not end up not taking a break, especially on a felicitious number.

I took a Foreigner break on 11 or 12, I forget which, earlier in the year. Haven't gotten back to it since, although I've kept up with buying the books.

Reading Richard K. Morgan's Broken Angels, likely to be followed by the new Mistborn book.

I just finished The Assassin, by Lorenzo del Toro.

My initial reaction is: Wow. This is a self published book (99 cents on Amazon) about an assassin sent on a search and destroy mission into the cocaine territories of the Costa Rican jungle in the 90's. His mission is to find and kill a legendary reclusive kingpin that is causing the Columbian cartels problems with their US cocaine pipeline, which runs through Costa Rica after Manuel Noriega's downfall in Panama.

Or, is that really his mission? This book is a brutal, surreal journey into the heart of darkness, told in the first person by an unreliable narrator who is admittedly insane. It out-Conrads Conrad, and leaves Apocalypse Now in the dust. The first half of the book is a little slow, but the pace picks up and the second half is a roller coaster ride through Hell.

A trippy, chaotic, and abstract descent into madness, and the best self-published novel I've read in a while.

Top Bottom