What's new

What Are You Reading?

I tend to read 2-3 books at a time. Currently the three sitting on my headboard are:

Republic.com 2.0 (Cass Sunsetein)
The Prince (Machiavelli)
Breaking the Spell (Daniel Dennett)

Just started The President, The Pope and The Prime Minister by John O'Sullivan and I was half way through it before I put it down last night. It's a well told bit of history that I lived through and remember quite well.

Reading of these three makes me think of our two presidential candidates. Whatever McCain's virtues, a deeply held, well thought out view of government is not one of them, and despite Obama's educational pedigree, he does comes off more and more as a lightweight.

the list for this summer

Queen of Bedlam - Robert Maccammon
Good Guy - Koontz
Odd Hours - Koontz

will add more when i finish those

Just finnished "The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey" by Candice Millard. Absolutely amazing, I cant recommend it highly enough.

Am getting married in 7 weeks :w00t: so am reading Every Man's Marriage by Stephen Arterburn and Fred Stoeker. Great book, full of excellent insights on how to make a marriage work and last - something of a rariety these days :001_huh:

Am getting married in 7 weeks :w00t: so am reading Every Man's Marriage by Stephen Arterburn and Fred Stoeker. Great book, full of excellent insights on how to make a marriage work and last - something of a rariety these days :001_huh:

Congrats with that!

Right now I'm not reading that much -- 11 minutes by Paulo Coelho and Mountains of Madness by H. P. Lovecraft (the latter has been lying on the floor for a week now :p).
Otherwise I'm very into classical Sci-Fi (like 2001, I am Legend, I, robot etc. and popular science (with a twist of mathematics :w00t:)

Act of Treason by Vince Flynn. After that, right on to Flynn's "Protect and Defend," which just came out last fall.

When I finish Protect and Defend, I will have finished all of Flynn's books in about a year. They are a great read ... no wonder he is in demand to help with writing the "24" TV series.

In Defense of Food - Michael Pollan
In The Woods - Tana French
Captain Blood - Raphael Sabatini

In Defense of Food has been put on the nightstand...I'm about half way through it and sort of struggleing. I like the ideas of it, I'm sure I'll adjust my eating viewpoint considerably as a result.

In the Woods - picked it up at the airport since I had finished the book I had brought...suprisingly am enjoying it. Murder/Mystery type book based in Ireland.

Captain Blood - Old book that was a favorite of the boyfriends as a younger man. Only on chapter 2 but highly recommend. I believe you can find it online as text to read.

Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey

One of my New Year's resolutions was to simplify my life. This book fits in with the overall theme.

I'm reading "The Problem of Pain" by CS Lewis. I also recommend Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength all by the same.

Two of my other favorites are Red Storm Rising and The Hunt for Red October both by Tom Clancey.

Top Bottom