What's new

What Are You Reading?

I just found out what I will be reading on July 21, 2007. :wink:

I will be reserving my copy as well. :biggrin:

To those of you with a more active social life than myself, July 21st is the release date for the 7th Harry Potter book, just announced today. :smile:

I'm about a third of the way through The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. Somehow, I missed that one in high school and college. I've been wanting to read it for a long time and have finally gotten around to it.

I think that if you were to spend a weekend reading The Jungle and watching Supersize Me, you'd never eat meat again!

I'm about a third of the way through The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. Somehow, I missed that one in high school and college. I've been wanting to read it for a long time and have finally gotten around to it.

I think that if you were to spend a weekend reading The Jungle and watching Supersize Me, you'd never eat meat again!

Add fast food nation to that list and you won't look back!

You should read Theodore Roosevelt's speech "The Man with the Muckrake" since it was largely inspired by Sinclair.

By the way, I've read "The Jungle" and watched Supersize Me and I like my meat medium rare :thumbup:

This one was inspired by the Da Vinci Code, but it's pure trash. Poorly written with an absurd scenario badly handled.:frown:

Those were my exact thoughts on The Da Vinci Code. Aside from any religous perspective in the book, which I didn't believe in the slightest, but I thought it might be a good book, I was so wrong.
I thought it was a joke, horribly written and with a dragging and trite plot. Without a doubt on of the worst books I've read in the last few years. I would have just taken it back to the library before I finished it, but it so popular I thought there had to be something to the plot, I was horribly wrong. :thumbdown

Currently reading Earl Aubec Stories by Michael Moorcock(started today)
I like his novels but his characters always seem to "crossover" from other novels much like marvel comics.

Today I plan on reading The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran.

Then, Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont.

Then, I guess getting to Ulysses, which I too have been putting off...for about 2 years now. I love stream of conscious too heh. I just haven't had the mental energy lately to tackle it. Portrait of the Artists was great, and Under The Volcano by Lowry is my favorite novel of all time.

I am reading The Coming China Wars Where They Will Be Fought And How They Can Be Won by Peter Navarro. This book paints a scary scenerio of the current Chinese collision course with the rest of the world. The Coming China Wars will be fought over everything from decent jobs, livable wages, leading edge technology to strategic resources such as oil, copper, and steel.

I just finished "What to say when you talk to yourself" by Shad Helmstetter. Currently reading "How I raised myself from failure to success in selling" by Frank Bettger

Currently reading Gulag Archipelago Vol 1. Fascinating read, and hotly contested by my Russian in-laws.

I just finished "What to say when you talk to yourself" by Shad Helmstetter. Currently reading "How I raised myself from failure to success in selling" by Frank Bettger

Frank Bettger's book is a classic. While the information may seem a bit dated, it is still very relevant in today's world.

Randy

Several going:

The Fallen
A History of The End of The World
The One Percent Doctrine
The God Delusion

Just finished The Kennedy Men
Breakpoint

WOW I was surprised to see The Jungle in a modern reading list .... absolutely one of my all time favorite reads ..... albeit many many ages ago...

Iceman: Thank you for suggesting "The coming China Wars" I'm all over it ... anxious to get all the insight I can .....I'll be there for three weeks in June ..haven't been there in 20 years.

I've been all through William Gibson, Neil Stephenson, Nick Sagan, Pat Cadigan and that ilk .......... now that tech stuff is so mainstream nobody seems to be addressing the genre. As a techie I enjoy any good mystery with a cyber slant.

If you've ever been to Italy, especially Venice you have to get a hold of everything written by Dona Leon.

I am in the midst of going through the series by Randy Wayne White ..... all in and around Sanibel and Captive Island in Florida ..... they're great mysteries
but he is a bright bright individual and he intersperses some very fascinating insights on life.

I just finished
Power, Faith, and Fantasy: America in the Middle East: 1776 to the Present by Michael B. Oren and I started the Yom Kippur War by Abraham Rabinovich.

Sprinkled in is Thomas Sowell's Ever Ask Why? a collection of his columns.

Top Bottom