What's new

What Are You Reading?

Tim, you have absolutely no idea how much of the TaNaCh -- Hebrew acronym for Torah (the Bible), N'vi'im (Prophets), and Ketuvim (Writings) -- is mistranslated from the original Hebrew into English (via Greek and/or Latin), as well as misunderstood/misinterpreted, because the age-old commentaries which accompany Jewish copies of the TaNaCh are missing from the English translations.

Most Jews don't read, speak, or understand Hebrew; and only an infinitesimally-small number of non-Jews (mainly Messianic Christians) take the time to learn Hebrew, in order to read the Bible (and the rest) in it's original language.

If you do want to read excellent translations from the original Hebrew into English, I heartily recommend the wealth of books which are available from Artscroll Publishers (here in the US, in bookstores and via the Internet). Notably, these versions do contain many of the major commentaries on key passages -- you'll see the difference, as well as learn and appreciate it that much more.

I'm not Jewish but I have a lot of repsect for Jewish scholarship and study. Actually I just ordered a basic book on Talmud, "Swimming in the Sea of Talmud" which was recommended to me by our own Rav Eric. I also ordered "Torah and Company". But thanks for the suggestions, they are greatly appreciated. I have seriously given thought to trying to learn Hebrew, I too think that you can get so much more out of the text from it's original language.

But in the meantime, I'm off to Amazon to check out those books, thanks so much. :smile:

Yesterday, I began reading Mike Gayle's My Legendary Girlfriend. I bought the book a while ago and finally decided to start it last night and finished it around 24 hrs later. It was an odd experience for me, part of me really didn't like the book, or rather the protagonist (the book was a very good read as evidenced that I couldn't put it down) I read reviews of the book where it was categorized as male chick lit. The protagonist, a London Schoolteacher, still, pining over his ex 3 years later, was whiny at times very annoying as he cries and dreams about a woman I certainly wouldn't have wanted, and I thought he needed a swift kick in the pants, but his character was also very endearing. The books follows him over a single weekend as he looks for love, it's meaning and tries to reclaim his life. I really enjoyed it, even if I didn't always agree with it.

I, then started An Open Heart by The Dalai Lama. It seems to and I hope it continues to show some wonderful insights written by a very thoughtful and wise man.

Now I have to find another novel to begin. :confused: :biggrin: :w00t:

Mario Puzo's The Godfather, I've seen the movie a dozen times, but never read the book, it's outstanding, what a wonderful book.

Mario Puzo's The Godfather, I've seen the movie a dozen times, but never read the book, it's outstanding, what a wonderful book.

That's a fantastic book. I read it years ago.

My latest books are The Rise and Fall of Long Term Capital Management and several books about mountaineering.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I Will Bear Witness: 1933-1941 by Victor Klemperer.

I am curious ... is Victor related to the conductor Otto Klemperer? I wouldn't be suprised as it's a very rare name!

And yes, Werner Klemperer of "Col Klink" fame is Otto's son. :w00t:

Just finished David Baldacci's "the Camel Club" and am starting "The Collectors." He like's putting all the alphabet agencies (FBI, DEA, NSA, CIA, DOD, DOJ) in collution and conspiracies.:cool:

I've been reading "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova, an interesting novel about some of the more interesting information regarding Vlad Dracula.

I am curious ... is Victor related to the conductor Otto Klemperer? I wouldn't be suprised as it's a very rare name!

And yes, Werner Klemperer of "Col Klink" fame is Otto's son. :w00t:

Yes, a cousin though apparently not close. Victor at one point in the book refers to Otto parenthetically as "the Catholic!" Victor was Protestant. Imagine that...leading up to WWII two converted Jews fighting over Christianity :confused1

The Year of Pleasures by Elizabeth Berg. I've read 4-5 of her books. And they are somewhat in the class of "chick" books, but are very well written.

Randy

The Theory of Poker (David Sklansky)

I'll be starting 10 Conversations You Need to Have with Your Children by Shmuley Boteach.

I just finished Act of Treason by Vince Flynn, he's currently my favorite author. If you like Tom Clancy, you'll really like Vince Flynn.

I also read a lot of Tess Gerritsen. Other then that I mostly read technical stuff for work :(

Another multi-book reader:

Currently working on The Closing of the Western Mind, The Good Men and The Invasion Within:The Contest of Cultures in Colonial North America.

More entertaining than American Idol.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ah! I've been a fan of Otto's conducting for a long time, and even know a little bit of his bio ... the other readers of this thread might not know that Otto had to convert from Judaism to Catholicism in order to get anywhere in the world of conducting in Germany in the 1920s ... presumably Victor had the same problem and chose a different flavour of compliance.

Yes, a cousin though apparently not close. Victor at one point in the book refers to Otto parenthetically as "the Catholic!" Victor was Protestant. Imagine that...leading up to WWII two converted Jews fighting over Christianity :confused1

Nothing dramatic, serious or thought provoking. Too much of that in my life as it is.

Pet Peeve by Piers Anthony
Taste of Home Magazine
Culinary Academy Wrap & Roll Cookbook

Next in line:
The Runes of Earth by Stephen R. Donaldson

I strongly believe in Steven Colbert's philosophy when it comes to reading...

but I just finished reading The Da Vinci Code. Must say the book beats the movie hands down.

Top Bottom