What's new

What Are You Reading?

I'm apparently as bad at reading one book as buying one thing for shaving:
Currently reading: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (again). Presence By Amy Cuddy. The Drunken Botanist by Amy Stewart. Stuff Matters by Mark Miodownik. Whiskey Distilled by Heather Greene. (then there's a few for classes. . . ) :whistling:

Is that the one about South Africa? If so it is a very good one. Very critical of the Boers, if I recall.

The Source is about the history of the people near Damascus, using the plot device of an archaeological team excavating a mound that had seen 10000 years of continual inhabitation. There are a series of mini-stories illustrating the world in that specific location every 500-1000 years, and provides a fascinating (to me) history of the Jewish people who began to make that area their home. This is a wonderful, wonderful book, IF you like James Michener's way of telling a story.

I finished Warbreaker and enjoyed it like the other Sanderson books I've read. Pretty much his same MO, different story, world and magic system. Figured I'd give him a break and branch out to try something new.

I heard good things about Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series, so I picked up Book 1, The Furies of Calderon. Only about chapter 2 but I'm interested. Story goes, that someone bet Butcher that he couldn't write a good story based on two random unrelated things, Romans and Pokémon. Supposedly, he succeeded. We shall see!

Story goes, that someone bet Butcher that he couldn't write a good story based on two random unrelated things, Romans and Pokémon. Supposedly, he succeeded. We shall see!

Nice. Never heard that one before. It's no Dresden Files, but I enjoyed it. End of book 3 is where it started to get REALLY good if I remember correctly.

The Source is about the history of the people near Damascus, using the plot device of an archaeological team excavating a mound that had seen 10000 years of continual inhabitation. There are a series of mini-stories illustrating the world in that specific location every 500-1000 years, and provides a fascinating (to me) history of the Jewish people who began to make that area their home. This is a wonderful, wonderful book, IF you like James Michener's way of telling a story.

My bad, I was thinking of a different Michener book. I enjoy his books but can't recall the one you are reading. I will have to keep an eye out for it.

If you can figure out which one is the South African one, it is quite good too. :001_smile

I just finished The Demi-Monde: Winter by Rod Rees. While it was a fairly interesting book (about a young woman sent into a computer generated world populated by some of histories most evil people to rescue the trapped daughter of the President), I was disappointed at the ending. It finished mid-story, leaving any and all resolutions to forthcoming books. While I often read serial novels, I like to see at least some part of it wrapped up. This book left me unsatisfied. If there were only one more book in the series, I would consider reading it. As this is a four book series, I doubt I'll ever find out how things get wrapped up.

An anthology of Phillip K. Dick short stories. I can only take a couple at a stretch, as the helplessness and paranoia that infuses his work becomes downright depressing in too large a dose. But it is amazing how influential Dick was - these stories have become engrained in modern popular culture.

I just finished up the latest Iron Druid book. The series started off great but has flattened out a bit the last few books. I loved the humor and wit that was baked into the first 4 or 5 books. As the stakes (get it?) have gotten higher with each of the books, the humor has tapered off quite a bit. I'm not crazy about the Granuaile chapters, but Owen is pretty hilarious. I will say that Staked was a little better than both Shattered and Hunted.

I just finished up the latest Iron Druid book. The series started off great but has flattened out a bit the last few books. I loved the humor and wit that was baked into the first 4 or 5 books. As the stakes (get it?) have gotten higher with each of the books, the humor has tapered off quite a bit. I'm not crazy about the Granuaile chapters, but Owen is pretty hilarious. I will say that Staked was a little better than both Shattered and Hunted.

I burned out after book 4 or 5. The Olympus book.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
"Strong Men Armed," by Robert Leckie.

Overview of the fighting in the Pacific by one who was there.

Leckie was among those featured in HBO's "The Pacific." So was Dr. Sid Phillips, whom I had the pleasure of knowing.

His book's amazing, too.

http://www.marinesidphillips.com/

AA

About half way through Journey by James a. Michener.

About the Klondike gold Rush in 1897 and Lord Luton and his party of 4 attempting to get to the gold fields.

They are in a cabin in winter at about 40 Below Fahrenheit....

Found this bit and thought I would share it.. @Marco and a number of others can relate to it, I think.

As leader of the expedition, Luton felt that he must set an example by shaving daily, and he did, even though this entailed considerable effort and even discomfort. Fogarty, watching him struggle, said one morning: 'Milord, I believe I could put a bit of edge on that razor.' Luton replied: 'You're not here as my manservant,' but since he winced with pain when he said this, Fogarty insisted: 'Apply more lather, Milord, and let me have that thing.' So while Luton soaped, Fogarty honed and stropped. Thereafter he tended the razor three mornings a week, not as a servant but as a friend, and he nodded approvingly when Luton told the others: 'Men can turn sour in situations like this. The proper regard for the niceties is essential for morale.'

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
About half way through Journey by James a. Michener.

About the Klondike gold Rush in 1897 and Lord Luton and his party of 4 attempting to get to the gold fields.

They are in a cabin in winter at about 40 Below Fahrenheit....

Found this bit and thought I would share it.. @Marco and a number of others can relate to it, I think.

As leader of the expedition, Luton felt that he must set an example by shaving daily, and he did, even though this entailed considerable effort and even discomfort. Fogarty, watching him struggle, said one morning: 'Milord, I believe I could put a bit of edge on that razor.' Luton replied: 'You're not here as my manservant,' but since he winced with pain when he said this, Fogarty insisted: 'Apply more lather, Milord, and let me have that thing.' So while Luton soaped, Fogarty honed and stropped. Thereafter he tended the razor three mornings a week, not as a servant but as a friend, and he nodded approvingly when Luton told the others: 'Men can turn sour in situations like this. The proper regard for the niceties is essential for morale.'

Sir, this is much appreciated and thank you for mentioning me. My hat is off.

The Palace Job. I bought it on sale yesterday. The reviews place it favorably with Pratchett. So far it's not. The nicest thing I can say about it is that it's light reading. Yes, even literary characters can chew the scenery.

The main problem is that all books have to have a believable world, and this includes Fantasy. Pratchett's Discworld series operated on it's own odd, but consistent, rules, and though he quickly slid from the Medieval to somewhere around the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, how Discworld works remained consistent. This includes culture, which, despite outward appearances, can be very practical things. This dances on the edge of political and Ford vs Chevy arguments so I'll stop here. Suffice to say that if you find someone doing something, there's usually a reason. Pratchett had Detritus the Troll as muscle and a bouncer because in Discworld trolls are good at such since they're made of rock. That, so far, is lacking in The Palace Job.

Will finish it - maybe. Not recommended if there's something else to read.

I'm struggling a bit with Codex Alera... I think I've been spoiled to Sanderson's magic systems and strong characters. I'm not really sure what the Furies are about, and why people have them, and what they can really do. I'm also not sure what this element crafting is. And I guess I'm not drawn to any characters yet, they aren't very dynamic so far. Narration could be better too, but it's far from bad. I find myself spacing out for a few minutes, realizing I kinda missed something, but then decide to just keep going. I'll certainly finish it, and probably the others in the series, but it's thus far not on my favorites list.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Went to Half Price Books and picked up some Dylan Thomas, Robert Frost, and DH Lawrence. Decided to grab Count of Montecristo (they only had paperback at the time, but it looks unused)- I have been meaning to read if for the last couple decades. I was out the door under $30
$image.jpg

I'm struggling a bit with Codex Alera... I think I've been spoiled to Sanderson's magic systems and strong characters. I'm not really sure what the Furies are about, and why people have them, and what they can really do. I'm also not sure what this element crafting is. And I guess I'm not drawn to any characters yet, they aren't very dynamic so far. Narration could be better too, but it's far from bad. I find myself spacing out for a few minutes, realizing I kinda missed something, but then decide to just keep going. I'll certainly finish it, and probably the others in the series, but it's thus far not on my favorites list.

Sanderson is a top tier magic system author. Butcher is a master of frantic pacing. Once Aleria starts up, you may find yourself experiencing sympathy exhaustion for Tavi.

Top Bottom