What's new

What Are You Reading?

I've been reading, but haven't posted in a while. There are three that I have finished recently:

1491 and 1493 by Charles C. Mann. 1491 covers the Native American populations, cultures, religions, geography, and land use prior to Columbus "landing" in the Americas. It does a great job of breaking down many misconceptions. 1493 covers the world after the Columbian Exchange began and how countries and cultures the world over were changed. I liked 1491 better but highly recommend both. Very appropriate as we approach Thanksgiving.

I also finished Redeployment by Phil Klay, a book of short stories about Iraq veterans and their experiences overseas and returning home. It won the National Book Award for Fiction. Recommended.

The Borgias - The Hidden Histor by G. J. Meyer, The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas, and a couple of books on Renaissance fencing and combat (I've started a rapier fencing class :thumbup1:)

There are a couple of David Drake military sci fi novels available on Amazon for free right now. I'm currently reading Redliners, a fairly typical but enjoyable Drake novel if you like that sort of thing.

龍應台,《大江大海一九四九》. LUNG Ying-tai's controversial look at the 1949 divide through personal stories of displacement and loss.

Just finished the 14th and last book of The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Started reading it 10 years ago while standing post in the Marines. Just re-read the entire series this year.

Currently reading The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Just finished "Tripwire" by Lee Child, moving straight into "Running Blind"

I've been working my way through the Jack Reacher novels the past few months as well. I've picked up the pace since switching to epub files on my phone, as opposed to paperbacks. I'm currently reading Bad Luck and Trouble. As with all series, some are better than others, but so far I've found that even the lesser stories have been perfectly acceptable as a casual read. Tripwire was probably my least favourite instalment thus far.

The Singing Sword by Jack Whyte.
Re reading the Camulod Chronicles series, I read it a few years ago and loved it.
Just picked up Honour and the Sword by A.L. Berridge.

I'm halfway through Full Force and Effect by Mark Greaney. It's the new Tom Clancy novel, carrying on the Jack Ryan series. I find that it's not as gripping as some of the previous novels. I'm looking forward to my next one (Lonesome Dove), so maybe I'm just antsy to finish this one.

Top Bottom