What's new

What Are You Reading?

Encyclopedia of Creation Myths - by David Adams Leeming

It is a very stimulating read in that one can see common threads of thought and background information that is common to each. It makes one wonder if perhaps many of them did not come from the same original story. Myths have always held a fascination for me because they each likely developed from some "real" occurrence or fact, and think about what that may have been of what it is similar to is interesting to me.

I had read this one before back when it first appeared in print, it has now been 21 years and there are several which I had forgotten about. And others which I had forgotten details of which are leading to a bit of further study.

I'm re-reading The Martian by Andy Weir (in anticipation of seeing the movie). One of my favorites of all time.

I'm also continuing C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner series. I'm on book 6, Explorer (end of the second sequence) and have book 7, Destroyer (beginning of the third sequence) ready to go as soon as that one's finished.

I'm close to finishing up The Fate of Ten and I'm enjoying it, I've enjoyed the whole series honestly.

Going to pick up The Martian next. Sounds like it's a must read at this point! I may even see the movie later today, not sure yet.

The Thought Readers by Dima and Anna Zaires: While I enjoyed it, it ended mid-story. I did pick up the second book in the series, but hope it is a more complete story.

I finished the second book in the series, The Thought Pushers, and it had a more satisfying finish. I liked it enough that book three is on my Wish List. I started Dome City Blues, by Jeff Edwards, a couple days ago, and I'm about 2/3 of the way through it. It is a detective story set in the near future. So far, it has been excellent and if the ending holds up to the story so far, I would highly recommend it.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard. An interesting tale of adventure in the heart of Africa during the nineteenth century.

A friend is doing the required readings for a course taught by columnist Michael Dirda called "The Classic Adventure Novel" So I'm following along, at least until my general aversion to sci-fi catches up to the list.

Currently reading the biography of Alan Turing, The Enigma, made famous by the Benedict Cumberbatch film.

Excellent book that really gets to the bottom of his true character. Also contains much of the maths behind the work, so well worth a read of this would interest you!

Halfway through Cormac McCarthy's "The Road". I had forgotten just how bleak this book was. I'd recommend reading this book in the fall or dead of winter. It's really a fantastic read.

Halfway through Cormac McCarthy's "The Road". I had forgotten just how bleak this book was. I'd recommend reading this book in the fall or dead of winter. It's really a fantastic read.

+1, its a good read but quite dark. My son gave it to me for fathers day a couple years ago.

Top Bottom