What's new

What Are You Reading?

Roger Zalazny's Nine Princes in Amber.

I'm curious to hear what you think of that, Frank. Its been in my Audible wishlist for a while now, mostly due to some cool narrators involved. The first 5 are Alessandro Juliani from BSG, and then Wil Wheaton picks them up at book 6.

Just finished a book called Matched.

Started The Maze Runner.

Next Enclave

Trying to figure which series I will like to go after first.But I'm eventually going to get each series.

Finished "Persuader" by Lee Child and then the short story compilation "A Study in Sherlock"

Next up is either Lee Child's "The Enemy" or Jim Butcher's "Storm Front", whichever the digital library releases to me first. I also have "Secondhand Souls" on order, it s/b here soon

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Hmm, read a Pulitzer Prize winner the last couple days, Martin Dressler. It was ok, very old fashioned in a way, but a good read, despite having to turn the pages by hand

Matt!!!

I thought I was the only EU junkie on here! Right on man! I have read every EU novel since they began with the Hand of Thrawn series, all whatever it is, 45-50 years ABY, I've enjoyed them all, and I'm with you that Disney's destruction of them as canon is seriously lame. They did throw a tiny bone in not totally dismissing them, and reclassifying them as "legends" but...c'mon! That's so weak and its the same dang thing.

I have read what they've put out since, the new stuff Heir to the Jedi and Tarkin, bioth pretty good but not amazing. Tarkin was an interesting history of the man, but didn't do much for his character. And Heir was kinda cute, Luke learning how to use some of his powers but there were some glaring **** off's in it.

I'm excited to read Armada too, its next on my list. I couldn't wait though and got into the last Mistborn book and I'm still plugging away. Its a good book, but I'm really starting to wonder how its going to climax and conclude, I can't see where its going yet. But, for those who have read it, do any of you, like me, think this trilogy would make an awesome TV series in the style of Game of Thrones? Its not as brutal or twisted of course, but I can see the world building, the magic system and the story arc playing out well in that format.

LOL. You're definitely not the only one John. I know they rebranded the EU as "Legends"... Still not happy though. And I agree the other two books they've released haven't been great. I'm excited for the new on coming in September that's supposed to be the new" what happened ABY" . Here's hoping they make it good.

Also, I've read all of Sanderson's books and honestly all of them, both the standalone and series, could be made into shows on a cable channel. Maybe one day (I think I remember something about his "Legion" book coming to tv?)

Armada was fantastic. An excellent sophomore effort. I really hope Cline continues to write.

About 50% through a Gordon Ramsey biography. Wanted go give my head a break from the fiction for a bit.

Cheers

M.

An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942–1943 by Rick Atkinson.

I cannot put this book down!

There is something to be said about former newspaper reporters. They are trained and can write a narrative like no other writers.

Finished King's Wolves of the Calla. I'll take a break from gunslingers and The Dark Tower series to return to some dragon fantasy via Naomi Novik. I haven't read a Temeraire book in a while, so I look forward to Empire of Ivory.

I finished Nine Princes in Amber. It was ok. I think it's dialog suffers a little. I'm sure I'll pick up book 2 at some point, but there are a lot more books I'd rather read first.

I am Pilgrim, by Terry Hayes. About 300 pages in with a long way to go; this is a big thick novel.

Kind of a hybrid between a police procedural and a modern espionage thriller. So far I like it a lot. The author, whoever he is, is clearly a fan of the early Frederick Forsyth and John Le Carre novels. And that is ok by me, I love them too. So far it is a darn good read for fans of the old spy novels.

I'm desperately trying to get into Discworld by Terry Pratchett. More than any other book, this one is eluding me. I've started The Colour of Magic at least 3 times. It's right up my alley, and I loved Pratchett and Gaiman's co-written novel Good Omens. I just don't know why I can't get into this one. I was thinking it was the sarcastic silliness, but hey, I love Douglas Adams!!!

I'm also listening to Eragon on tape, which is absolutely awesome. I have no idea how I didn't find this book years ago.

^ I'm like this. Discworld seems like the kind of series I should like, but for some reason I've never tried to read it.

Speaking of Douglas Adams, it's about time I read Hitchhikers again.

Top Bottom