What's new

What Are You Reading?

I'm currently (re-)reading The Moving Toyshop by Edmund Crispin.

Next up is Abaddon's Gate by James S. A. Corey, book three of the Expanse series (coming soon to a TV near you on SyFy).

Burned through Stephen Blackmoore's "Broken Souls" the most recent book about necromancer Eric Carter - I really enjoy the character and how this series is turning out. I read that the next book, "Hungry Ghosts", was due in June but that has been delayed into next year (bummer).

Now I have the second Bobby Dollar book by Tad Williams, "Happy Hour in Hell" to read.

I finished The Martian by Andy Weir two days ago. Yesterday, I started Superego by Frank Fleming. I'm about 2/3 of the way through it already and can't put it down. It is a science fiction novel of a genetically engineered hitman with no superego, and how he deals with his job as he unexpectedly develops empathy after meeting a female detective. Based on what I've read so far, I highly recommend it. I'll post again when I finish it (which should be soon)

Women by Charles Bukowski

I read this at 19 years old on a working trip to Alaska with some buddies. I have a vivid recollection of sitting in our hut reading this book by flashlight (no electricity inside) while the workers at our fish-packing plant and my friends partied outside. I couldn't put the book down.

When I returned from that summer, I went to the bookstore and bought everything I could find by Bukowski.

Last edited:
Finished Lynch's The Republic of Thieves. It was a nice, fun book. Looking forward to book 4. I started Happy Hour in Hell by Tad Williams, it's Bobby Dollar book 2.

Just finished the 8th book in the Wheel of Time series: [FONT=arial, sans-serif]The Path of Daggers. This may have been the shortest book so far in the series, but it was by far the most dull. Jordan is losing traction, and I really can't tell where this series is going in the immediate future. I have assumptions about where it will ultimately end up, but hopefully the next book has a little more direction. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]In my opinion, this is where authors tend to lose it when writing these massive epic series. They seemingly feel that it is necessary to expand their universe throughout the entire series. Sometimes it works very well. Sprinkling in a few characters and exploring the universe is wonderful, but adding a thousand characters with names that are not even discernible is not so great.

I am going to keep plugging, but I am starting to feel like a 3017er that is 2 months into a triple milled soap. Some of the other material that I have waiting in the wings is starting to look pretty appealing.[/FONT]

Just finished the 8th book in the Wheel of Time series: The Path of Daggers....look pretty appealing.

I think this is where I bailed out on the series (back when you had to wait for each volume). I never really kept up to see if Sanderson finished the series with a bang or a whimper, just the sheer amount of reading material (and this is coming from a guy who has read ALL of the Malazan stuff AND Hubbards "Mission:Earth" series!!) keeps me away.

The Steady Running of The Hour by Justin Go.

Interesting debut book: star-crossed lovers, WWI, Everest expeditions, 80 yr old unclaimed inheritance.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
"Killing Patton" by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard; If you liked the movie "Patton" you will definitely like the book!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
Now , I'm reading a 1978 novel (hard back) by Rhodesian author Daniel Carney entitled "The Wild Geese" [in which later a film adaptation "The Wild Geese" was made]. :thumbsup:

The Story:

"May 1968

Deposed Congolese President Julius Limbani is on a
flight to Israel, when his bodyguard is murdered. The CIA have hijacked the plane as part of a Cold War deal with current Congo president General Ndofa. Waiting in the Tel Aviv airport for Limbani is an Anglo-South African mercenary soldier Colonel Allen Faulkner. Faulkner is under contract to take Limbani back to the Congo and mount a coup d'état. When Limbani fails to arrive, Faulkner is left unemployed and returns to South Africa.

November 1970

Over two years have passed and Faulkner is summoned to London by Merchant Banker Sir Edward Matherson. Faulkner learns that not only is Limbani alive but he is held in
Algeria and is to be returned to the Congo for execution. But what Matherson proposes is for Faulkner to raise and lead a mercenary unit to rescue Limbani and bring him to London. With this chance to redeem his tarnished reputation after Limbani was kidnapped under his contracted safety, Faulkner agrees and sets about assembling his team.

Three men are top of Faulkner's list, all have served under him in the past and are trusted beyond question. First to be recruited is American Rafer Janders, who at that time is in hiding from the
Mafia. They've put out a contract on Janders' life after he killed a local godfather's nephew after tricking Janders into being a courier of heroin.

As Matherson persuades the mafia into lifting the contract, Faulkner finds Janders holed up above a night club for homosexuals. Whilst waiting for Matherson to deal with the mafia, Faulkner learns about what has happened to Janders since they
last served together 7 years ago. With Janders now part of the operation Faulkner turns to two more comrades from the Congo, Lieutenant Jeremy Chandos and Regimental Sergeant-Major Sandy Young.

After recruiting two more officers (Fynn and Coetzee) and 45 NCOs and enlisted men, the group travels to
Portuguese-ruled
Mozambique
for training .

Once [
Regimental Sergeant-Major] Young begins training , he quickly becomes resented by most of the men because of his rigid and harsh methods. While Faulkner remains popular with the men, it is not the same for the [Sergeant-Major], who easily defeats an attempt by a few disgruntled mercenaries to kill him.

Now respected as well as disliked by the men,
[Sergeant-Major], Young transforms aged old soldiers and young

rookies into a formidable fighting force [
The Wild Geese]". $The Wild Geese.jpg

Read More : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wild_Geese_%28Carney_novel%29

proxy.php

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]
proxy.php
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“To live fully, one has to read widely”. CBJ[/FONT]

Last edited:
Just finished the 8th book in the Wheel of Time series: The Path of Daggers. This may have been the shortest book so far in the series, but it was by far the most dull. Jordan is losing traction, and I really can't tell where this series is going in the immediate future. I have assumptions about where it will ultimately end up, but hopefully the next book has a little more direction.

In my opinion, this is where authors tend to lose it when writing these massive epic series. They seemingly feel that it is necessary to expand their universe throughout the entire series. Sometimes it works very well. Sprinkling in a few characters and exploring the universe is wonderful, but adding a thousand characters with names that are not even discernible is not so great.

I am going to keep plugging, but I am starting to feel like a 3017er that is 2 months into a triple milled soap. Some of the other material that I have waiting in the wings is starting to look pretty appealing.

[tugs braid] Keep with it, books 9 & 10 are also weak, but things pick back up with 11 - 14.[/tugs braid]

Top Bottom