What's new

What Are You Reading?

The teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge. Far from the first time I've read this or the other 8 main books by Carlos Castaneda but with my user name what do you expect?

That is one tripped out book. I read that, and one or two if his other books many years ago. A very good way for me to challenge my way of thinking, get totally different perspectives. Thanks for reminding me that now is a good time to re-read them.

Make sure you add in the M. middle iniital. Iain Banks is the same author, but he published (he sadly passed away last year) his sci-fi stuff under Iain M. Banks and his contemporary fiction (which I hear is good but very grim and depressing) as Iain Banks.

I've heard good things about Mark Lawrence, I'll have to check him out. Apparently there is this whole "grimdark" genre of gritty fantasy emerging, with guys like Lawrence, Abercrombie, and the like.

I just finished Lawrence's Broken Empire trilogy, it was really good. I'll have to pick his new book (new series) after I make my way down the queue of books I have.

I am re-reading "Helmet for My Pillow" by Robert Leckie. A great first-hand retelling of what WWII looked like through the eyes of a Marine in the island-fighting campaign in the Pacific.

I've started Tarkin by James Luceno. It's the story of Moff Tarkin from Star Wars. Very interesting so far, its the story of his upbringing, training, rise to power. Lot's of good Star Wars canon geek stuff in here too, and some more insight into characters like the Emperor and Darth Vader.

I'm listening to the audiobook version, as is pretty much all I do, and its great. All the Star Wars novels include background music, sound effects, alien and droid voices etc. They're full productions. The narrator is very good. Has a voice very reminiscent of Peter Cushing's movie portrayal of Tarkin. If you're a SW geek like me, I recommend it!

I'm not sure where I got the recommendation for this one, but I'm reading Cobra by Deon Meyer. It's a crime novel/thriller set in South Africa. I don't fully understand all of the dialect, but it's very well written and enjoyable.

I have been listening to Prince Lestat by Anne Rice. I really liked The Vampire Lestat, and thought Interview with a Vampire was good. But Queen of the Damned seemed not very good and I only got partway through the next one. I doubt I make it through this one either. Way too much talk, much of it internal character dialogue, and background, and way too little action.

I have read hundreds upon hundreds of books and only a handful I have not finished. I always give it a hundred pages and usually stick with it.
I am here to tell you at exactly the 100th page I sat "Infinite Jest" down because I couldn't take it anymore.
Never in my life was I so annoyed at a writers use of strange words that I didn't understand, footnotes every twenty seconds that made no sense and in general.....strange writing.
I was guided to this book because I love Jonathon Franzen. Not similar at all. IMO
I just didn't get it.

I have read hundreds upon hundreds of books and only a handful I have not finished. I always give it a hundred pages and usually stick with it.
I am here to tell you at exactly the 100th page I sat "Infinite Jest" down because I couldn't take it anymore.
Never in my life was I so annoyed at a writers use of strange words that I didn't understand, footnotes every twenty seconds that made no sense and in general.....strange writing.
I was guided to this book because I love Jonathon Franzen. Not similar at all. IMO
I just didn't get it.

Thanks for this post. I saw a reference to Infinite Jest in another book I was reading and was going to put it on my list of books to get from the library. Maybe I'll pass on it now.

Hey, it's all natural! Everything in there is found on the planet. You can drive a health food junkie nuts with that line of reasoning. ;)

Slightly OT, but it reminds me of a "Dirty Jobs" episode where Mike Rowe was making charcoal. He asked the guy who owned the company if he should wear a mask or respirator.
The guy told Mike that charcoal is natural, and you can't get cancer from natural things.

I just didn't get it.
Just to offer a dissenting opinion:
Infinite Jest is the only book I've read more than twice. Challenging for sure, but worth it in my opinion. It's easier the second time through, but I suppose that's little comfort to anyone struggling with the first time.

I don't use the word genius lightly, but that's what we lost in DFW.

I just didn't get it.

I've been contemplating Infinite Jest for a few years now. It seems like a book I should read, but might never find myself actually doing it. The only book I put down and never plan on going back to is Atlas Shrugged. Man I just couldn't get through it. Plus Rand literally is beating you over the head repeatedly with her ideals about government, and objectivism.

I also had to put down and come back to Pride and Prejudice a few times. Not for any fault of Austen's writing, but more of the time period in which it was written, and the language used then. I'm not convinced I'll attempt any other Jane Austen novels, though my wife would really like me to read Emma.

I recently finished Vaughn Heppner's "The Lost Starship". It may be the favorite of all the books I've picked up from Amazon Prime's Lending Library. It was a quick and enjoyable piece of space opera. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait for any more in the series.

I've gone through quite a few books since I last posted in here. In no particular order, nor is this a complete list:

Ready Player One (picked it up after so many on here said it was good. Was NOT disappointed!) - Ernest Cline
The Companions Codex - Night of the Hunter - R.A.Salvatore
Worldwar - In The Balancer- Harry Turtledove
Yes Please - Amy Poelher (In Progress)

Heroes Die
- Matthew Stover
I separated this one out as it's a fantastic read so far. I'm about 18% through (according to my Kindle :p) and I'm having difficulty putting it down for other things, like sleep and work. :p If you like the "anti-hero" and don't mind some fairly graphic imagery this is definitely a read for you. If you've read the Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire series) by Mark Lawrence, or enjoy George R.R. Martin, this book is a similar vein.

Cheers.

M.
Heroes die is my favorite book.

$beyond-religion-webpage1.jpg

Top Bottom