What's new

What Are You Reading?

I'm reading the same thing for a while now because I've been reading it in small segments to digest. It's called "The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna."

David Copperfield -- figure it's one of those a guy my age shoulda read by now. About 10% done (per Kindle) and totally hooked.

Also, David McCullogh's 1776. George Washington and associates eliciting "thank Heavens" as our amazing story unfolds.

Tinashubby, I suggest a few sci fi reads to get you started, my preferences a little lighter than some of the other suggestions. :)

Enders Game is a modern classic

Anything by John Scalzi is a fun and light read.

If you're a Star Wars fan, the novels starting at the Hand of Thrawn trilogy and beyond.

Last, one of my favorites and a classic, though a bit heavier read, Dune by Frank Herbert

Im sure Ive got more buried in my head, but I can't remember them right now :) Hope those help!

Tinashubby, I suggest a few sci fi reads to get you started, my preferences a little lighter than some of the other suggestions. :)

Enders Game is a modern classic
Anything by John Scalzi is a fun and light read.
Last, one of my favorites and a classic, though a bit heavier read, Dune by Frank Herbert

Im sure Ive got more buried in my head, but I can't remember them right now :) Hope those help!

:thumbup1: Perfect. If those don't appeal... well, maybe this really isn't his thing.

Hi fellow readers. I just posted in the b/s/t. I would like to trade for a very good to excellent condition hardcover copy of Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.

Send me a pm if you have a copy for trade.

I just finished "Deadly Choices: How the Anti-Vaccine Movement Threatnes Us All" by Paul Offit, MD. Although it's not always well-written, it's fascinating, and also very reassuring about vaccine safety for those of us who vaccinate our children. If you're on the fence about whether or not to vaccinate, read it. Trying to keep the conversation polite, if you're anti-vaccine, you might want to read it, too.

That's interesting, Dave. I certainly don't wish to bring up the debate, just like you :) But I highly suggest you (and anyone really) now watch this video. It is the intro to a show by Penn & Teller and it sums up the whole vaccination issue in a perfect and dramatic way.

http://youtu.be/lhk7-5eBCrs

Thanks for posting the link, John. I could have saved a few hours watching it instead of reading the book. But then I never would have known that Raggedy Ann dolls were part of the anti-vaccine movement

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I just finished "Deadly Choices: How the Anti-Vaccine Movement Threatnes Us All" by Paul Offit, MD. Although it's not always well-written, it's fascinating, and also very reassuring about vaccine safety for those of us who vaccinate our children. If you're on the fence about whether or not to vaccinate, read it. Trying to keep the conversation polite, if you're anti-vaccine, you might want to read it, too.

That quack doctor in England who started this, and Jenny McCarthy who promotes is, do not realize the harm they are causing. Yeah, I don't think I will take my medical advice from a PMOY

I saw it recommended earlier, Ender's Game is an excellent sci-fi novel! I've read most of the books that Card wrote about the Ender universe. I also recommend reading a survival based book called, "Hatchet" by Gary Paulson. Anything by Tom Clancy is gold as well :)

The World According to Clarkson. We only just received BBC Canada through the cable company (thanks, Mr. Rogers!) and have been watching Top Gear, where professional crank, Jeremy Clarkson is given a platform to bellyache about a variety of subjects, some of them actually car related.
I downloaded a bunch of his books and have been picking through them the past week or so. A British version of PJ O'Rourke, with the same interests...fast cars, a good smoke, fine booze and less nanny state.

Top Bottom