What's new

What Are You Reading?

Anybody else reading the Game of Thrones series by George R. R. Martin? Currently, I am on Book 5, A Dance of Dragons. I really enjoyed the first two or three books. The characters are interesting, but man, the plot has slowed to the pace of a glacier now (and the books get longer and longer). I guess I am just stubborn about finishing things.

I've read all of the ones that are out. ADWD does get a little slow I guess, but things do start picking up at the end again. I think its set up nicely for a lot of drama in the 6th book. I've really enjoyed reading the series so far. They are very long and detailed, but thats what makes me like them. Its kind of like a long Sitcom that runs for 8 or 9 seasons. How I Met Your Mother comes to mind. The nitty gritty details of what happens in every single episode matters less and less as the series goes on. Its worth watching all of the seasons because you learn about the characters, and create an emotional attachment. You won't always like every episode, but they all build on the entire experience. That is the way I see these long multi book fantasy series

Am on my second Jo Nesbo mystery. Liked "The Leopard" better than this one, "The Iceman." The violence in the former was very intense, but nothing like the latter. I think it is giving me nightmares.

I seem to be liking Scandanavian police procedurals. Really liked the Wallander series. I think I have read every one now, at least those available in English.

I seem to be liking Scandanavian police procedurals. Really liked the Wallander series. I think I have read every one now, at least those available in English.

Glad to hear it. We have some good authors among us. Although not a criminal record I recommend The Water Palace by Ida Jessen - she draws pictures in my head that remind me somewhat of Hemingway with a social side.

I am reading Hebrews at the moment and quite enjoying it.

Last edited:
I've read all of the ones that are out. ADWD does get a little slow I guess, but things do start picking up at the end again. I think its set up nicely for a lot of drama in the 6th book. I've really enjoyed reading the series so far. They are very long and detailed, but thats what makes me like them. Its kind of like a long Sitcom that runs for 8 or 9 seasons. How I Met Your Mother comes to mind. The nitty gritty details of what happens in every single episode matters less and less as the series goes on. Its worth watching all of the seasons because you learn about the characters, and create an emotional attachment. You won't always like every episode, but they all build on the entire experience. That is the way I see these long multi book fantasy series

You're right about things picking up at the end of A Dance with Dragons. I am anxious to see what Dany is going to do next. But then who knows how long we must wait for Martin to finally finish the next book?!!!

once again i'm back reading "At The Mountains of Madness"

Boy, that brings back memories.

Sadly, I'm finishing the last of Dashiell Hammett's five novels, The Thin Man, maybe this weekend. The Maltese Falcon is one of my favorite movies, but I had never read the book until a week or so ago. It was practically a screenplay for the movie. Very cool. Had to fire up the DVR and watch it for the umpteenth time.

My secular reading is Tombee, Portrait of a Cotton Planter. It is a diary of a cotton planter on the Sea Islands of South Carolina. I have read that book about 5 times. I read mostly history and old diaries for pleasure.
My other reading is my daily read, the weekly parsha from 3 versions of Torah, a couple versions of the midrash, and various books on mussar. Most people just are not interested in my reading choices.

The Bounds of Sense by P.F. Strawson. It's an essay on Kant's Critique of Pure Reason and it feels as though I'm wading through concrete sometimes.

The Presidents Club: Inside the World's most Exclusive Fraternity by Nancy Gibbs and Michael Duffy. Great book for anyone who enjoys history and politics! The book talks about serving Presidents and their relationships with past Presidents. Really interesting how despite their political views and beliefs Presidents have always relied on the advice from past Presidents due the fact that nobody really knows the pressures of the most powerful position on the planet.

Who would of thought that somebody like Clinton would have weekly conversations with Richard Nixon. Two completely different personalities from the opposite ends of the political spectrum.

Last edited:
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Gramme-Smith. It seems to be frowned upon by a lot of people but I love it. It gets better with every page.

Top Bottom