What's new

What Are You Reading?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Just finished Unbroken, by Hillenbrand, that is a wonderful read as noted above. Have the new Grisham Calico Joe waiting for pickup at the library.

Anybody else reading the Game of Thrones series by George R. R. Martin? Currently, I am on Book 5, A Dance of Dragons. I really enjoyed the first two or three books. The characters are interesting, but man, the plot has slowed to the pace of a glacier now (and the books get longer and longer). I guess I am just stubborn about finishing things.

I've read them all, the first 3 multiple times. Martin had some problems with Feast for Crows and split the book in half. So, if you had some favorite characters in Feast you won't see a whole lot of them in Dance. I think book 3 was the best of the series so far, so books 4 and 5 seemed to drag for me as well.

I've also just started A Dance with Dragons. I agree that the pacing has slowed down, but the story still has me hooked. I'm not looking forward to having to wait for the rest of the books...

Legion

Staff member
SWMBO bought the box set of all the GOT books, and has just finished the first one. I'm debating whether it is worth picking it up. I do like the TV show.

SWMBO bought the box set of all the GOT books, and has just finished the first one. I'm debating whether it is worth picking it up. I do like the TV show.

The TV series has been very entertaining, especially the performances of Peter Dinklage, who plays the dwarf, Tirion.

If you like the show but find yourself wishing for more detail, read the books. So much more detail, more intricacies, and Martin is sneakier in the books. Things in the TV show are very “hit you over the head with a clue x 4.” In the books something will happen and you’ll suddenly realize that it’s been foreshadowed much earlier, even a book or two earlier.

Plus, you don’t have to wait for season 3 to begin filming. Book 3 is going to take seasons 3 and 4 to cover.

Just re-read This Wheel's On Fire by Levon Helm (1993). I think that anyone interested in that music or that musical era will enjoy it.

Now reading Glock: The Rise of America's Gun by Paul M. Barrett (2012). Interesting story so far, if not the greatest writing.

I just finished Escape from Camp 14 by Blaine Harden, which recounts the true story of a guy who escaped from a North Korean labor camp he had been born and raised in.

On Being Catholic by Thomas Howard

I've read another from the same author. He's been compared to CS Lewis. I don't know about that, but it's pretty good. Informative in a poetic sort of way. Go ahead and Kindle it

Two Books on the go right now:

The Ascent of Money - Niall Ferguson

& +1 Les Miserables - Hugo. About 2/3 through the phonebook sized unabridged version

Just finished The Third Man by Graham Greene.

Also reading Les Miserables by Victor Hugo.

How is The Third Man (the book) anyway? I love the film: it's hugely influential to this day. Miller's Crossing in particular owes it a huge debt.
Personally, I'm reading a biography on J. Edgar Hoover that I took out from the library. It's exceedingly trashy as if written by a James Elroy tabloid character, and I'm sure mostly inaccurate.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Right now I am on the third book of Stieg Larson's "Girl..." series. Too bad it is also the last one.

Towers of Midnight, the latest book (and 2nd to last) in The Wheel of Time series.
I've been enjoying Sandersons take on Jordans notes. I want to say hes the better author, but I've never read any of his original stuff and it's really hard to determine how much of these last few books were his and how much were Jordans notes.

Towers of Midnight, the latest book (and 2nd to last) in The Wheel of Time series.
I've been enjoying Sandersons take on Jordans notes. I want to say hes the better author, but I've never read any of his original stuff and it's really hard to determine how much of these last few books were his and how much were Jordans notes.

I think he did a better job with mat's character in Towers. Wasn't too impressed with the Mat chapters in The Gathering Storm.

Can't wait until Jan 2013 for the last book.

I just started The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. It's one of those books I've always meant to read, but never got around to reading. Well, 2012 is the year I read it.

Top Bottom