What's new

What Are You Reading?

I have a book like it from William Lane Craig who is imho one of the greatest apologetics authors alive today

I'm more a presuppositionalist then an evidentialist but I am thankful for Craig's work.

Reading: Bavinck's Dogmatics, 4th volume.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose, the story of the Lewis and Clark expedition, is one I really enjoyed. I love history, and really lament the change of focus at the History Channel. I've done over a dozen of the history courses offered by The Teaching Company. I put them on my iPod and listen to them in my car. I currently have a course on English history during the reigns of the Stewarts and Tudors. My favorites are a series of courses about the Middle Ages.

Mike

http://www.amazon.com/Undaunted-Courage-Meriwether-Jefferson-American/dp/0684826976

A Defiant Life: Thurgood Marshall and the Persistence of Racism in America, by Howard Ball, 1998. Highly recommended for any lawyer or law student interested in learning about an attorney who won 36 Supreme Court cases almost single-handedly (before he became Solicitor General of the United States), and risked his life to litigate criminal and civil trials all over the country, at a time when the federal government simply was not litigating civil rights cases. Also highly recommended for its very readable account of U.S. history from the Civil War through Marshall's 1954 victory in Brown v. Board of Education and beyond. For those unfamiliar with Marshall, he finished his career as only the second Marylander to be appointed to the Supreme Court.:shifty:

Thanks guys, I just ordered both books from my library, based on your comments. I appreciate it when posters here put a little mini review into their replies, it gives others some ideas sometimes.

I just finished H.G.Wells' The Time Machine, which I hadn't ever opened before. A very quick read, even with large print it was more a short story. The Sci-Fi aspect is toned down as befiting when it was penned. Thoughful view of our future eh?

I would just add that Undaunted Courage might be the most interesting, entertaining, and exciting book on history I've ever read, and 1369's recommendation on Unbroken is dead on.

For pure entertainment i would recommend "Black Site" by Dalton Fury and "Shadow Patrol" by Alex Berenson. The Larson Girl series is excellent as well.

Courtesy of last month's University of Chicago Press free ebook-of-the-month:

"Pilgrimage to the End of the World: The Road to Santiago de Compostela"

Traveling two and a half months and one thousand miles along the ancient route through southern France and northern Spain, Conrad Rudolph made the passage to the holy site of Santiago de Compostela, one of the most important modern-day pilgrimage destinations for Westerners. In this chronicle of his travels to this captivating place, Rudolph melds the ancient and the contemporary, the spiritual and the physical, in a book that is at once travel guide, literary work, historical study, and memoir.

"The Masada Protocol" by Lee Broad is an excellent read. I had a hard time putting it down. A work of fiction, but today's current events make it seem very real.

Just started "In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin" by Erik Larson last night.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Now, I'm reading an 'over-size' (coffee table size), book entitled, "Tsar: The Lost World of Nicholas and Alexandra " by Peter Kurth, intro by Edvard Radzinsky and photos by Peter Christopher. :thumbsup:

"Tsar: The Lost World of Nicholas and Alexandra"

"This spectacular illustrated history tells the story of the last Romanovs - one of the great tragic love stories of all time - with unparalleled vividness & intimacy. The text, which follows Nicholas & Alexandria from their childhood's to the Siberian cellar where their lives ended, is complemented by rare images from the imperial family's private collections (locked away for decades in Soviet archives, & published here for the first time), as well as by contemporary full-color photographs of the places & palaces the Romanovs knew".

proxy.php

proxy.php
"Reading is to mind what exercise is to the body. Joseph Addison

Now, I'm reading an 'over-size' (coffee table size), book entitled, "Tsar: The Lost World of Nicholas and Alexandra " by Peter Kurth, intro by Edvard Radzinsky and photos by Peter Christopher. :thumbsup:

"Tsar: The Lost World of Nicholas and Alexandra"

"This spectacular illustrated history tells the story of the last Romanovs - one of the great tragic love stories of all time - with unparalleled vividness & intimacy. The text, which follows Nicholas & Alexandria from their childhood's to the Siberian cellar where their lives ended, is complemented by rare images from the imperial family's private collections (locked away for decades in Soviet archives, & published here for the first time), as well as by contemporary full-color photographs of the places & palaces the Romanovs knew".

proxy.php

proxy.php
"Reading is to mind what exercise is to the body. Joseph Addison

:c6: Good read, enjoy.

I have three books going at the moment.

Re-reading The Catcher In The Rye because it's finally time to check it out as an adult.

Re-reading Richard Brautigan's Trout Fishing.../The Pill Vs.../Watermelon Sugar compendium.

E-book reading Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account (this I just DLd tonight...about to start it).

Top Bottom