What's new

What Are You Reading?

I'm paused about one-quarter of the way through The Emperor of Scent, by Chandler Burr; I found it so interesting, that I ordered my own copy and returned the borrowed one to the public library.

On the recommendation of Tat2niner, I picked-up a used copy of Plain Speaking: an oral biography of Harry S. Truman, by Merle Miller. It's based on Miller's hours and hours of conversation with the late President Truman, while filming a neither finished nor broadcast series of shows about him. I like it; it's an open and inviting window into a time and place where I didn't grow-up, and a look at people who weren't my relatives or my parents' friends. I think a person could've done a lot worse, than to grow-up in Independence, MO. I mainly read it while I'm eating, and I find myself enjoying my meals a bit more than usual... perhaps it's the slower pace.

It would be great to listen to the recordings of those conversations, while working-out on the elliptical trainer!

Hi Tim. Books, books, books. I love them. While in my teens and early twenties, I was a voracious reader. It was nothing to finish a paperback novel in an evening but I would usually extend it to two nights. I love most fantasy work though I must confess I limit to stuff that is from worlds or times long ago when men still walked or rode horses wherever they went. Edged weapons are a must. I love Celtic, Anglo, and Germanic history. Novels based on that would be great. Especially the Middle Ages(I refuse to call that period Dark Ages. I think Charlemagne would have argued that with you as well.) Sherlock Holmes is always good. I like some of the real life crime books. I recently finished Patricia Cornwell's "Portrait of a Killer". It's her take on the White Chapel murders. Very good stuff. At times clinical but VERY convincing. I have recently re-read The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. I'd forgotten just how good these books were. No wonder young people still flock to them. Tolkien is a favourite as well. In addition to the Lord of the Rings saga, the works edited and published posthumoulsly by his son Christopher are to be explored. The Silmarillion sounds very good. Others I really want to explore is The History of English Speaking Peoples by Churchill and The Rough Riders, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman, and Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail by Theodore Roosevelt. Teddy was our beloved American Lion and a real arse kicker. Good westerns by L'Amour are always worth reading. Right now I'm finishing book 7 of the Chronicles of Narnia.

Regards Todd

I'm a fanatic reader as well, and have been since around the 4th grade. Right now, I'm re-reading Raise High the Roofbeam, Carpenters & Seymour: An Introduction (J.D. Salinger). I've also just started to read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Twain) and Defining a Nation: Our America and the Sources of its Strength (edited by Halberstam, RIP). A book I look forward to reading next is Stumbling On Happiness (Gilbert), it looks very interesting.

I am reading

"The Keep" by F Paul Wilson....It is a great book..

I read a lot of books...and this one is good..

I like fiction.......any good books I need to read?

Just started A Question of Blood by Ian Rankin

The first book I've ever read of Rankin's but I'm enjoying it thus far.

In celebration of his passing, I am re-reading Kurt Vonnegut. Today, "Cat's Cradle". Tomorrow, I start "Slaughterhouse Five".

Just finished "Slaughterhouse Five." My first Vonnegut book. I found it interesting and will probably read something else by him.

“If man could be crossed with a cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.” – Mark Twain

I finished Twinkie Deconstructed last night. I'm not sure when I'll eat another Twinkie. We eat very little in the way of processed foods.

Today I've started reading the New Testament. I haven't touched it since high school religion class in the early 1980s. I'm not Christian, but it's such a culturally significant book that I thought I ought to give it a read.

Just started book one of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series (eye of the world)...I'm not that big of a "fantasy guy," but I was in a Hobbit-ish mood and this book has been quite enjoyable so far.

Top Bottom