What's new

What Are You Reading?

Going dual right now

Non Fiction: Kip thorne's Black Holes and Time Warps

Fiction: Tom Clancy's Debt of Honor

Both are wonderful.

currently reading:

Collapse by Jared Diamond

he basically analyzes past societal collapses (Easter Island, Angkor Wat, Mayan, etc) and draws interesting conlcusions about their demise, most of which are pretty logical (overpopulation, exhausting natural resources, starvation, civil war, etc). paints a pretty bleak picture of what could happen in the world today

I've just started reading Freakonomics. My business professor gave me a heads up that the two courses I have with her next semester (marketing and business economy) would draw heavily on that book, so I picked up a copy today. I'll let everyone know what I think about it later if anyone's interested.

Rereading "Gates of the Alamo" by Stephen Harrigan. I read it about 8 or 9 years ago when it first came out. I am on a resal kick right now about the seige and battle of the Alamo so I thought I would read this book again and get fictionalized version of that event.

DL

Yesterday, I finished reading The Bedroom Secrets of Master Chefs by Irvine Welsh. I'm sure I've spouted my praise of Welsh, so suffice it to say that the book was excellent (if you're into the whole modern, gritty, Scottish literature thing).

Now, I'm cracking open Glue, also by Welsh, for something like the 10th time.

Just Read:
Wishin' and Hopin' a Christmas Story - Wally Lamb|B+
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet - Jamie Ford|A
The Hitchhiker's Trilogy - Douglas Adams|B
...and Another Thing - Eoin Colfer|B
Flashforward - Robert J Sawyer|B

The World without Us - Alan Weisman|B-
A bit harder to get into than I thought it'd be...but it presents a lot of interesting facts and ideas.

Reading Now:
Dreamsongs v1 & v2 - George R.R. Martin

In the Queue:

The Secret History of the American Empire - John Perkins
How to Paint a Deadman - Sarah Hall
The Child Thief - Brom

I've just started reading Freakonomics. My business professor gave me a heads up that the two courses I have with her next semester (marketing and business economy) would draw heavily on that book, so I picked up a copy today. I'll let everyone know what I think about it later if anyone's interested.

Read it last year.

The book seem to "**** off" both my Liberal and Conservative friends.:glare:

Just finished reading Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin. I only picked it up because I am attending a conference in January and he will be the keynote speaker, but I found the book absolutely compelling. A truly remarkable story about a remarkable man. I guess I'll have to see the movie as well.

Pete

Just Read:
The Hitchhiker's Trilogy - Douglas Adams|B
...and Another Thing - Eoin Colfer|B
Flashforward - Robert J Sawyer|B
The World without Us - Alan Weisman|B-

Mortal Coils - Eric Nylund|A
A very enjoyable read, geared to young adults but still extremely good.

Reading Now:
The Hunger Games/Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins

In the Queue:
Dreamsongs v1 & v2 - George R.R. Martin
The Secret History of the American Empire - John Perkins
How to Paint a Deadman - Sarah Hall
The Child Thief - Brom

Last edited:
Top Bottom