What's new

A new beginning

Hi All,
I have been reading this site for about a week and have already ordered all new shaving gear (Merkur 42, Omega boar brush, West Coast Shaving sampler, and picked up 3 soaps). Waiting, not so patiently, for it to arrive in the mail. I have a long history of bad shaves (Trac II, Atra, Mach 3, Fusion), I was the only guy in Naval Basic that failed shave inspection every day despite shaving til I bled. My neck especially, is problematic. I have watched all of Mantic's videos and am ready for a new era in smoothness. I love this site and all of the great knowledge and info here. Many thanks.

Good for you. You're doing things the right way. When your gear arrives, just take it slow and easy. Don't try for BBS right off the bat, take your time and the good shaves will come.

Before you start it might be a good thing to review Mantic's video's again, especially the beginner ones. Work through the blades, and give each one a good shot, 5 or 6 shaves each and keep a record of how the blade was for you. The blade, and a nice light, no pressure touch will go a long way.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how you do. :thumbup1: :thumbup:

Welcome +1 on the advice from dpmtherrien. Remember a great shave consists of Great Lather, Prep, and Technique... with work they all come together

Gadzook,

Welcome to Badger & Blade!!! Congratulations on taking the wet-shaving plunge and a lifetime of satisfying shaves! No more failed inspections for you, my friend!

DL

Welcome!

Sorry to hear about your bad shaves, but better shaves are on the way. There is lots of great advice here to get you started.

Above all else, have fun and enjoy the experience.

Hi All,
I have been reading this site for about a week and have already ordered all new shaving gear (Merkur 42, Omega boar brush, West Coast Shaving sampler, and picked up 3 soaps). Waiting, not so patiently, for it to arrive in the mail. I have a long history of bad shaves (Trac II, Atra, Mach 3, Fusion), I was the only guy in Naval Basic that failed shave inspection every day despite shaving til I bled. My neck especially, is problematic. I have watched all of Mantic's videos and am ready for a new era in smoothness. I love this site and all of the great knowledge and info here. Many thanks.

Your bad shaves as you say are about to end.:001_smile
Welcome to the land of B&B where mach3's and fusions come to die.:wink2:

Welcome from another man with a history of bad shaves, mostly due to sensitive skin. My problems stopped when I stopped treating shaving as a chore and started thinking of it as a pleasure. My advice is to find a barber shop that does an old-fashioned straight razor shave (They'll use a shavette, which is a disposable blade straight razor). You'll learn something of the pre-shave routine, you'll get a great shave, and you'll learn that shaving can actually be a pleasurable experience. Good luck!

That's good advice...I have a bad habit of rushing full bore into things. As soon as my gear arrives I'm going to take it slow and easy. Since I have been waiting for my new razor and brush:001_smile I bought some soaps and used one (Williams) with this facial scrub-type brush I found in the house. I whipped up a batch of not very lathery lather and shaved with my disposable face thrasher. Well, that was the best shave I have ever had, which is not saying much, my neck was still a mess. Just using the Williams! It cost $1.70 at CVS. My Edge Pro Super Sensitive goop never gave me a shave that good. It cost $4.29 at CVS, and only lasts about 2 months. When I get my new razor and brush I will post an update on how it goes. Thanks for the support, this is a great community.

Top Bottom