What's new

I Must Say, I'm Impressed

I admit. I was skeptical. How could a single blade do as well as the multi-blade behemoths that are sold by the truckload? Everyone else seemed to be getting decent shaves from them. Why wasn't I?

Using the Fusion and Gillette shaving cream I tried improving my technique. After a month I still got ingrowns. I got rid of the Fusion and switched to the simple double blade disposables. Even with a much better technique now I still got irritation and a single ingrown. And when I say ingrown I don't mean a small pimple-like spot where the long hair struggles to get out. I get short barbous hairs that jam into my face and swell up to the size of a pea and take a month to fully heal.

So here were my problems. Due to the dearth of shaving supplies in my area the cost of entry was going to be quite high once shipping was factored in. With all the other things going on I didn't want to sink too many resources into an 'experiment'. Second, I didn't want a hobby, I just wanted a decent shaves with no ingrowns or irritations. Well thanks to user mblakele I was able to acquire a decent starter kit and possibly my only kit. -- Thanks Mike!
So I took the plunge. I decided that I had better shave at night so I wasn't rushing myself in the morning. (No need to show up to work sans-a-chin :) I got lathered up and shaved for the first time using a DE razor. I only did two passes (WTG, XTG) figuring there was no need to overdo it on my first time. I was astounded. Those two passes with only a single blade gave a finer shave with zero irritation or bumps than I ever got using the Fusion. I can only imagine what it could be like once I got the technique down. This morning after a good eight hours sleep my face is still more smooth than if I had just used the Fusion.

Thanks for all the tips on here and hopefully as I gain knowledge and experience I'll be able to pass that on. It looks like I'll never be going back -- and that's a good thing ;)

Welcome. When I started out, I bought piece by piece. Brush, then razor, then blade sampler. I am now trying out soaps. An expensive work, but there is nothing like finding the soaps and creams that work for you. I have never had a smoother shave than when I started using DE razors!!! :thumbup1:

Welcome aboard!
Stay happy, frugal, and at peace with yourself. "Stay to dance with the gal who brought ya." Resist any urge to try a SE such as a Gem Junior1912. They are cheap on the Bay and from friends here. SE blades can be found at Walgrens even today. If you even think of going this route, think again, as you be on the road to a Nirvana you never imagined!

welcome.

And... now there are only 100 different razors, 259 different soaps & creams, 30-odd brushes, a dozen different blades to try.

have fun & shave on!

Congratulations and welcome!

As you've discovered, this place is an amazing resource for anyone willing to throw off the cartridge yoke. A word of warning as excitement leads to inevitable curiosity about all the other razors/soaps/brushes in the world: this is a den of mad enablers.

My experience pretty much mirrors that of the OP. Never got a truly great shave until I started shaving with a DE a few weeks ago.

I get a better shave, I actually enjoy shaving, and it's cheaper in the long run.

Top Bottom