What's new

disposable straight vs. real straight (Dovo SE vs Dovo Shavette)

Hey all - I'm just getting started with SE shaving would really appreciate some help. I have a Dovo straight that a friend gave me (after getting frustrated with straight shaving) and a Dovo Shavette. I've been using the Shavette for a week or two now (while the real Dovo was away getting professionally honed), and I'm getting pretty good with it - but of course slow and still learning. I was all excited when I got the real Dovo SE back today, but it just wasnt nearly as sharp, especially after a few strokes. I'm testing sharpness both on body hair and in shaving. And though I'm not 100% confident in my stropping method, I'm pretty confident I'm doing it right, as I got some good instruction from a shop - and after stropping the Dovo SE just doesnt compare to the Shavette, which has been used 3-5 times. FYI I am using a regular Dovo leather strop with the black Dovo sharpening paste. . I would prefer to use the real SE, I like the feel of it more, and I dont mind the stropping, but it seems like it cant be as sharp as the disposables. (FYI, I'm using the Dovo brand little blades with the red holder - I've ordered other disposable blades which are on the way. I've also ordered the green and black Dovo Shavette blade holders and blades to go in them.). It was done by a cutlery shop that I trust.

Is it just that the disposable blades are much sharper and the real SEs cant compete head to head? Does one just have to use a different technique with the SE, and it doesnt need to be as sharp? From some of the answers here the Dovo straight should be as sharp as the Shavette, but I'm not sure how that can be given my experience, or what it is I need to do differently.

I also wonder, if I decide the disposable straight edge is the way to go, if it's worth investing in one of those Feather replaceable straight edge blades. Really appreciate your help - running a bit blind here. The guy at the cutlery shop I'm dealing with doesnt really know that much about razors (which I think is why he actually sends the razors out to get honed). Really appreciate any help anyone can give.

it sounds like your razor wasnt honed right, unfortunately.

even guys who can put wicked edges on knives often are less than useless at straights because of the wildly different technique, and different equipment.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

The best way to test it is to try it but, by the sound of it, you might need to have it honed again. There will be one of the gents here that can help you with that.

Do you know who honed it?

I'm new to str8's too. I've been using the Feather AC right from the start, and after a few mistakes I'm getting along pretty good with it.

I went with the Feather because I just didn't want to have to deal with the hone, paste, strop, and the maintaining of the str8. As I'm getting better with the Feather, I'm really enjoying it.

I've also had excellent help and advice from other members here at B&B. :thumbup1:

The Feather AC is a quality razor, and in no way is it an inexpensive alternative to a real str8. :001_tongu

it sounds like your razor wasnt honed right, unfortunately.

Even guys who can put wicked edges on knives often are less than useless at straights because of the wildly different technique, and different equipment.

+1

Wicked knife edge is not even close to the edge I put on razors.

Top Bottom