What's new

Teaching the kid to shave

So my oldest is about to turn 15, and as the wife pointed out that he's starting to develop some facial hair. She has grown to accept my AD's, and is actually a DE convert herself. So as such, she wants me to teach him to shave properly.

The problem will be this. Unlike me, who has an appreciation for old ways of doing things, he does not. To him old=bad, period. So I want to introduce him to this in such a way as to not turn him off to it. I've already discussed it with him and he seems somewhat open so far. My thought was to teach him basic technique with a mach 3 and foam. Once that's been accomplished present him with the benefits of a brush and cream/soap/AS, and letting him decide from there on his own. We are also going to get him a nice razor brush and stand for his birthday.

Has anyone out there trained their teen to shave "properly"? I know my father never did, and I want my kids to able to benefit from my knowledge. If anyone has any pointers I'd appreciate it

So my oldest is about to turn 15, and as the wife pointed out that he's starting to develop some facial hair. She has grown to accept my AD's, and is actually a DE convert herself. So as such, she wants me to teach him to shave properly.

The problem will be this. Unlike me, who has an appreciation for old ways of doing things, he does not. To him old=bad, period. So I want to introduce him to this in such a way as to not turn him off to it. I've already discussed it with him and he seems somewhat open so far. My thought was to teach him basic technique with a mach 3 and foam. Once that's been accomplished present him with the benefits of a brush and cream/soap/AS, and letting him decide from there on his own. We are also going to get him a nice razor brush and stand for his birthday.

Has anyone out there trained their teen to shave "properly"? I know my father never did, and I want my kids to able to benefit from my knowledge. If anyone has any pointers I'd appreciate it

Well I'm 27 so I remember being like that not SOOO long ago. I guess for me the best way to have approached me is a typical male angle. "Listen, girls like a smooth face on a guy, they like a clean cut man. Girls don't like bumpy faces and someone who shaves once every 4 days. This is the best way to do it, you'll be nice and smooth and ladies will like it."

Who knows, that's the best advice I can give.

Well I'm 27 so I remember being like that not SOOO long ago. I guess for me the best way to have approached me is a typical male angle. "Listen, girls like a smooth face on a guy, they like a clean cut man. Girls don't like bumpy faces and someone who shaves once every 4 days. This is the best way to do it, you'll be nice and smooth and ladies will like it."

Who knows, that's the best advice I can give.

I would agree with this if not for the fact that I would never listen to my father's advice when it comes to girls :lol::lol:

I have a 12 year old who is rockin' a fuzzy caterpillar on his lip, and was wondering the same thing. I fear it may be an uphill battle, as anything old is 'lame' in his opinion as well. I'm interested to see how people have handled this situation. Let's see some replies! *grabs popcorn*

-J

dont even give him an m3 to start - just tell him its about time he learnt to shave and hand him a DE

dont even give him an m3 to start - just tell him its about time he learnt to shave and hand him a DE

Here was my logic on that. When I started in the 70's, my dad pretty much just pointed at the super speed and foamy and said knock yourself out. I nicked myself up a few times, and then one day cut myself up BAD trying to get even sideburns. At that point, my buddy turned me on to carts and I used them for 30 years. So I'm thinking start him with something safe, then in a few weeks I'll give him a hand me down from the RAD closet, maybe my barberpole. I don't want him to get nicked up right out of the gate and decide that shaving with the dinosaurs sucks...

being 19 - my dad never really taught me too shave either, when i got some peach fuzz and my bro had a mustache he told us to get some disposables and we used his gel - that being said, if you dont make a big deal of it - i think juinor will pick up shaving the way dad does because - how else would he do it?

ah we both posted at the same time - well you need to make sure you keep your kid away from bad influences like you had - cart users..... oh boy

Here was my logic on that. When I started in the 70's, my dad pretty much just pointed at the super speed and foamy and said knock yourself out. I nicked myself up a few times, and then one day cut myself up BAD trying to get even sideburns. At that point, my buddy turned me on to carts and I used them for 30 years. So I'm thinking start him with something safe, then in a few weeks I'll give him a hand me down from the RAD closet, maybe my barberpole. I don't want him to get nicked up right out of the gate and decide that shaving with the dinosaurs sucks...

yah, but if you walk him through it then he wont shread his face

funny that he likes NEW stuff. Im 16 and personally i liked the oldschool idea of it, but iv also been told im a bit strange so... but really the whole girls thing works really well, been shaving crapily since i was 14 and i hated it to where id grow a beard which girls do not like, the guy at the art of shaving told me about DE and i went online and found a good deal and the rest is history, smooth face with minimum irritation! btw my dad shaves with a cartridge xP

hahaha, my old man looked at me funny the day that I grabbed a Mach 3 and can of then "new" Edge Gel in high school and proceeded to inform me that "that crap aint gonna work ya know.." He's still shaving happily to this day with his '74 long-handle adjustable he bought in college....and I'm playing catch up.

funny that he likes NEW stuff. Im 16 and personally i liked the oldschool idea of it, but iv also been told im a bit strange so...but really the whole girls thing works really well, been shaving crapily since i was 14 and i hated it to where id grow a beard which girls do not like, the guy at the art of shaving told me about DE and i went online and found a good deal and the rest is history, smooth face with minimum irritation! btw my dad shaves with a cartridge xP

Funny you should say that, as this is also the case with me. I started liking vintage stuff since I was 15 (music, film, antiques, etc) and I have also been told I am a bit strange. Then when I turned 20 (nearly a year ago) I started using a straight razor (with great pleasure!). Somehow it seems that liking thing the old fashioned ways is something very personal (and regarded as strange for a young gentleman). My dad also shaves with a cartridge, but I have been able to convert him. He will soon buy a straight! :thumbup1:

To the OP: As to trying to get your son to use a DE, the 'girls'-approach seems to be good. Don't forget this though: wet shaving has made a comeback, and popularity is still rising, therefore using a DE is less old-school than your son might think! Perhaps quite modern these days!

Keeps us posted on whether you can convert your kid!

Last edited:
Thank for the input gang. I'm going to start putting a kit together for him today, then we'll see how it goes. I picked up a like mint gold etched tech on the bay, and think I'll get him a gold beehive Omega brush to go with it. I just need to figure out a soap/cream that won't be to old man smelling for him (he's into all the Axe stuff, blech )

I failed to mention though, that I did fully convert my 6 year old. He is intrigued with my DE's and brushes, so the wife picked him up his own kit as well. He now shaves with me most mornings before school/work.

proxy.php

You might want to just ask him if he want to shave like a teenager or shave like a man? Sure, maybe the girls might be impressed with the M3, but I would think that both girls and guys would be impressed with the DE style.

I wish my dad would have tought me about it. I learned quickly that OLD != BAD. Good luck to you teaching him.

I keep trying to get my boy to let me teach him how to shave with a straight."But it takes so long to do" he says."It only takes 15 minutes,now come out from under there you chicken ****".My strategy hasn't worked yet.

I keep trying to get my boy to let me teach him how to shave with a straight."But it takes so long to do" he says."It only takes 15 minutes,now come out from under there you chicken ****".My strategy hasn't worked yet.

Maybe if you took the blindfold off when you say that...? :lol:

Thank for the input gang. I'm going to start putting a kit together for him today, then we'll see how it goes. I picked up a like mint gold etched tech on the bay, and think I'll get him a gold beehive Omega brush to go with it. I just need to figure out a soap/cream that won't be to old man smelling for him (he's into all the Axe stuff, blech )

I failed to mention though, that I did fully convert my 6 year old. He is intrigued with my DE's and brushes, so the wife picked him up his own kit as well. He now shaves with me most mornings before school/work.

proxy.php

My wife bought that for our 2YO son! (She is finally "getting" my "obsession" with shaving with a brush). :laugh:

I let him play with my brush in the tub before and lather up with bubbles, but I wouldn't let him play with an unloaded razor...they're not always unloaded.

My son (18 yrs.) has been str8 shaving for about two years now and really likes it. What he doesn't like is the required preparation so he uses canned stuff with a str8. His facial hair is still thin so that's O.K. for now but when he gets older and his beard thickness it may be another story.

Top Bottom