What's new

Aristocrat - not sure on date , should I buy ??

How much would this razor and case be worth ? The guy only wants 40 bucks.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

What do you think of the condition ? , I never saw any of these with the burlap sac either

I picked up that razor in a mismatched ever ready case for $25. With a matching case and the cloth sack, I'd say it's probably worth at least $40 and that would likely be quite the steal. If you don't like it, I don't imagine you would have any difficulty getting back what you paid for it.

It all sounds wonderful, but you should ask a few questions first. These are notoriously finicky razors. (the case does look fabulous!) Ask the seller does the razor open and close smoothly. These guys can lock up on you require immense torque and maybe even a shove on the mechanism for the doors to finally open (just like mine). the one in the photo looks in beautiful condition. You may want to grab that now.

I agree with Darjeeling_Express. Ask about how it opens. Mine is currently more deliberate as it opens than stiff or stubborn, but definitely not as smooth as my other TTO. It is supposed to be a fairly common issue with these razors. Also ... if, of course, you can talk him down on the price, then go for it. Best of luck.

$40?? Outrageous!! Highway robbery!!

Give me his telephone number so I can give him a piece of my mind!!

Seriously, +1 on Darjeeling's recommendation that you further explore the mechanical functioning of the razor. Even at $40 a razor with doors that don't open isn't a steal.

See if you can talk him down to $30.00, then sell it to me for $45.00....:lol:

If it turns out as nice as it looks, I would be happy...Good luck.

Just a quick update , the razor itself is quite amazing. The plating is very well preserved as is the plating on the case. Although I can see that the lacquer is starting to fade which could leave the think gold layer exposed.

I'm going to clean the lot up a bit and I will post the end results

If you don't want to buy it, I'll send you 50 bucks, you buy it for me and get 10 bucks commision.

40 bucks is nothing, go and buy it mate. Is a beautiful razor, you'll enjoy it,

As I always say, is better to buy it, than regret it later.

(well that's my new saying, and is all your fault guys!)

Well guys I posted this thread many weeks ago and never got back to it. I do not check B&B on a day to day basis so I totally forgot about updating on the condition and the restoration results.

The razor mechanism and doors are flawless, they work like a charm and feel super solid.

I managed to remove the white stuff that turn out to be some sort of plaster or papsmered toothpaste from the 50's Idk , but I did get it off.

The inner case velvet was quite dirty but it was a quick fix , I used a tiny nose hair trimmer brush to sweep the interior for eight or so minutes and it turned out beautifully.

here are the pics guys , I had never cleaned a razor before or worked on razor surface but all and all I think I did a dandy job :D

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Oh yeah the case, I could probably still do a bit of work on the surface but for now it will have to go :D

proxy.php

PS: Final hammer price after haggling about the poor quality of the razor 35$

Last edited:
Beautiful! This is one of my favorites! And one of the first TTO razors ever made by Gillette, to boot! Well done, sir!!:001_smile

Woah! Lucky bastard. That thing is a steal at $40. Have you shaved with it yet? (or will you?) I'm always interested to hear how the shave is with these early TTOs. I've got a #15 and it's a bit easier on the eyes than it is on the skin. :001_smile

Top Bottom