What's new

Watch band upkeep

We polish our shoes, have products for keeping the leather in the car going, same for the leather couch, etc. How do you keep the watch band looking spiffy?

A quality watchband usually will wear well as it is and needs nothing. With time it ages and depending on how rough your are and the climate you live in eventually it just needs to be replaced. I have used some Bick on leather strops but if your rough on them try getting a strap made of another material or a metal band even better.

A quality watchband usually will wear well as it is and needs nothing. With time it ages and depending on how rough your are and the climate you live in eventually it just needs to be replaced. I have used some Bick on leather strops but if your rough on them try getting a strap made of another material or a metal band even better.

Agreed. Once it starts looking aged or smells, replace it with a new one.

I've saved a smelly leather band by letting it in a glass of water for one night and letting it dry in a cool ventilated room, water naturally diludes dryed sweat, you can notice it by the color it takes and you may need to change it once or twice...

Your alum block and favourite cologne can help you too :001_smile

Edit : I've heard about some glycerine soaps used by people who owns horses uses to clean saddles and other leather stuff

Last edited:

:thumbup:

One less thing to worry about!!! Having a hard enough time keeping the thing winded. I might need to invest in an auto winder.

We polish our shoes, have products for keeping the leather in the car going, same for the leather couch, etc. How do you keep the watch band looking spiffy?

I just use a toothbrush and a little dishwashing liquid on my Rolex with Jubilee bracelet (in stainless steel - I would not do this with 18K gold). It keeps everything bright and shiny. :001_smile

Tim

There are some treated leathers they sell as waterproof and some with rubber backings but in general leather and water do not mix well. You can buy a quality plain leather strop for maybe $30 or less so to replace it after a couple years isn't that big a deal.

Not really upkeep, but for a really nice watch I'd consider buying a spare band or two alongside the (new) watch itself.

Nate.

Top Bottom