What's new

Aqua Velva Plastic Bottles

Gonna jump on this bandwagon tomorrow. But all this AV talk had me inspired to do some researchin'.... did you know that "the alcohol content of original Aqua Velva was high enough to actually inspire US sailors in World War II to use it as a substitute for alcoholic beverages"? (courtesy ala wiki).

cheers to the glass AV--long may we hoard it!

Gonna jump on this bandwagon tomorrow. But all this AV talk had me inspired to do some researchin'.... did you know that "the alcohol content of original Aqua Velva was high enough to actually inspire US sailors in World War II to use it as a substitute for alcoholic beverages"? (courtesy ala wiki).

Yes, and it had bittering agents added, to try to discourage consumption. :w00t:

cheers to the glass AV--long may we hoard it!

Yes, and it had bittering agents added, to try to discourage consumption. :w00t:

Whoever came up with the idea of a bittering agent must have never met a sailor. I can't imagine any of the guys that I used to know being put off by that. They'd see it as a challenge.

That's why I love Snapper. They told Walmart no. I only buy Snapper lawn equipment now.

Ahhh, the wonderful mower that is snapper. While they did tell Wal-Mart no, they do sell a lower end line at Sears that will get you pissed off at them. I have a commercial version snapper with the Kawasaki motor. Cost just under $1000, but worth it to have things like steel wheels all around, and a transmission that can be fixed pretty inexpensively.

Whoever came up with the idea of a bittering agent must have never met a sailor. I can't imagine any of the guys that I used to know being put off by that. They'd see it as a challenge.

You are quite right Nid Hog ... I knew some of my comrades who would have drank Lilac Vegital if a small buzz could have been gotten from it

OK..the panic has spread across the Atlantic, I had 1 glass bottle of AV about 20% used.

I ordered 2 bottles from the Dutch Shaving Shop(I've never come across it in Ireland)....10 euros each for 3.5 oz bottle(plus shipping) :ohmy: but at least they're glass :smile:

I see it's gone off the website must be OOS

Last edited:
I bet the change is driven by shipping costs more than anything else.

- Chris

I believe it is more about shipping costs and distribution, Chris. I think you hit the nail on the head with this one.

Personally, I'm glad they switched to plastic bottles. I'm a klutz when I shave, and I don't know how many times I've broken a bottle of Aqua Velva on my bathroom counter. When we were living in my apartment back in Houston, we had a granite bath counter. I broke two bottles on that one. Thankfully, the bathroom smelt like my own little slice of heaven for two days.

They aren't going to change the formula. If you have a problem with it, just go to an atomizer store and put it in a pretty little splash bottle.

Got the last four bottles at our Walmart this weekend. Somebody is gettin' ripped off or I got good deal. 4 glass bottles in the back, 5 plastic in the front. Price...$5.24 and the plastic bottles are smaller than the glass bottles.

So, either I got more product in a more appealing package for a low price or from now on, your getting less product in a cheap plastic bottle for the price of a larger glass bottle.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

I've had Raisin Jack made in the bilges. I laugh at bittering agents.

Got the last four bottles at our Walmart this weekend. Somebody is gettin' ripped off or I got good deal. 4 glass bottles in the back, 5 plastic in the front. Price...$5.24 and the plastic bottles are smaller than the glass bottles.

So, either I got more product in a more appealing package for a low price or from now on, your getting less product in a cheap plastic bottle for the price of a larger glass bottle.

I thought the exact same thing until I checked both bottles. They both contain 7 ounces. I determined that it was the thick glass bottle that makes it looks bigger and thus deceives someone into thinking there is more product.

There must be a B&B member in New Milford CT. I was just in the Wal-Mart there yesterday and somebody had completely cleaned out the AV. The musk and ice sport was still there, but there was a gaping hole where the ice blue was. Luckily I have a few bottles set aside already. :001_smile

I believe it is more about shipping costs and distribution, Chris. I think you hit the nail on the head with this one.

Personally, I'm glad they switched to plastic bottles. I'm a klutz when I shave, and I don't know how many times I've broken a bottle of Aqua Velva on my bathroom counter. When we were living in my apartment back in Houston, we had a granite bath counter. I broke two bottles on that one. Thankfully, the bathroom smelt like my own little slice of heaven for two days.

They aren't going to change the formula. If you have a problem with it, just go to an atomizer store and put it in a pretty little splash bottle.

I've knocked bottles of Royall off of the top shelf before. Somehow they have all landed on either bathroom mats, or in the trash, so none have broken yet :sleep:

Top Bottom